Virtualization

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My sister asked me to look into software for a quick summer class she has to take (stats software package only supported on MS). She is running a iBook G4 purchased just before the transition to Intel.

I have look at some of the threads in the forums on parallels, but it appears to be intel only, as does boot camp. Are there any options for running windows based doftware on a G4 iBook? Also an idea of the all in cost and relative complexity would be helpful.

thanks,

-m

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

My sister asked me to look into software for a quick summer class she has to take (stats software package only supported on MS). She is running a iBook G4 purchased just before the transition to Intel.

I have look at some of the threads in the forums on parallels, but it appears to be intel only, as does boot camp. Are there any options for running windows based doftware on a G4 iBook? Also an idea of the all in cost and relative complexity would be helpful.

thanks,

-m

The only sensible alternative is to gain access to a PC. The G4 compatible alternatives are really, really bad.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

... Are there any options for running windows based doftware on a G4 iBook? ...

Virtual PC 6 or Virtual PC 7. VPC 7 is available as a standalone app or as part of the Office 2004 Professional bundle. Windows XP SP2 Pro is included. However, the general consensus is that Windows 2000 is the sweet spot.