How to copy movies to AppleTV and iPod without syncing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have both a Video iPod and a AppleTV. I have a lot of short videos that I read into my Mac from DVD's. I like to put these on my video iPod and the AppleTV. Because of a shortage of hard drive space I don't like to keep these files on my Mac. I'd like to simply be able to copy these files to either of these devices. I have been able to drag a song in iTunes to my iPod to do this but can't do this with videos and also can't do this to my AppleTV. Is there a way to do this?

For now I have syncing turned on and select what videos I want to copy over in the sync options for movies. I'm sure if I deleted these items from my computer in the next sync it would be deleted from the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I have both a Video iPod and a AppleTV. I have a lot of short videos that I read into my Mac from DVD's. I like to put these on my video iPod and the AppleTV. Because of a shortage of hard drive space I don't like to keep these files on my Mac. I'd like to simply be able to copy these files to either of these devices. I have been able to drag a song in iTunes to my iPod to do this but can't do this with videos and also can't do this to my AppleTV. Is there a way to do this?

For now I have syncing turned on and select what videos I want to copy over in the sync options for movies. I'm sure if I deleted these items from my computer in the next sync it would be deleted from the device.

Consider investing in an External HDD, and keep these videos on that drive, iTunes should know they are there as long as that drive is connected, and sync from there.

Alternatively you can move extra files onto an external HDD.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 4
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    As far as I know, there doesn't seem to be a way of manually copying iTunes content over to Apple TV at the moment. This could change any time with an iTunes update, so I don't know if the decision is permanent.

I have always manually managed my iPod and I would have liked to do the same with my Apple TV too, but my guess is that it's another security protocol to stop people sharing content as easily.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I use an external HD and connect it to my airport 802.11n as an airport disk.

Works great.

• Reply 4 of 4
    alice167alice167 Posts: 4member
    markw10 , i faca the some problem as yours ,after my movie is riped by Imtoo iPod video converter for mac, i can not manually copy iTunes content over to Apple TV at the moment~ as SpinDrift 's said, no a good way to solve this~