Don't yell at me, but, does anyone know id a Dell...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can I use a Dell 27" monitor with a new 2.66 promac?

I was going to get a 30" cinema display, but you know what? The no hight adjustment is a bad thing. The Dell is adjustable and I won't get neck strain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    Dude, the 30" is so big that unless your desk is really screwed up, there's no way you can't be looking straight ahead at monitor, lol.

Dell does have a 30" LCD with the same res, however. And it's cheaper, but I'd still take a cinema
  • Reply 2 of 16
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post

Dude, the 30" is so big that unless your desk is really screwed up, there's no way you can't be looking straight ahead at monitor, lol.

Dell does have a 30" LCD with the same res, however. And it's cheaper, but I'd still take a cinema

macpro. and yeah you can. you're going to have to get the apple connecters though. in my opinion dell is a much better option than the apple cinema displays, cheaper for the size, and still very nice looking.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

macpro. and yeah you can. you're going to have to get the apple connecters though. in my opinion dell is a much better option than the apple cinema displays, cheaper for the size, and still very nice looking.

Apple connectors? Dude, it's standard DVI all around, there is no special connector involved....

Rich-Myster, you definitely can, monitors are about as standard plug and play as you can get these days, and apple's (unless you need super high accuracy color, in which Apple or NEC are a good bet on the *low to mid* end of *that* market) are way overpriced. I use samsung and dell monitors personally these days, and they all work fine with any of my computers - for the sake of reassurance, at the moment I have 2 samsung 19" LCDs, 1 dell 2407wfp, and one ancient 21inch HP crt with trinitron tube that my g/f calls gigantor because it takes up half my desk :-p (when I get back home entirely for the summer, it goes in storage until the fall :-p)
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Apple connectors? Dude, it's standard DVI all around, there is no special connector involved....

Rich-Myster, you definitely can, monitors are about as standard plug and play as you can get these days, and apple's (unless you need super high accuracy color, in which Apple or NEC are a good bet on the *low to mid* end of *that* market) are way overpriced. I use samsung and dell monitors personally these days, and they all work fine with any of my computers - for the sake of reassurance, at the moment I have 2 samsung 19" LCDs, 1 dell 2407wfp, and one ancient 21inch HP crt with trinitron tube that my g/f calls gigantor because it takes up half my desk :-p (when I get back home entirely for the summer, it goes in storage until the fall :-p)

i mean if he has a new computer, you need a connecter to connect the moniter to the computer. so why not get the apple one, it's pretty cheap and it's apple
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dylannydylanny Posts: 6member
    The reality is, the 30 is too big. I mean, apples jump from 23 to 30 inches. I'd be happier w/ 27'.

It's beautiful, but I don't really need or want 30 inches. And with no height adjustment the top of the monitor is far above eye level which is annoying.

Er um.... I hope I'm not being a pest, but I need a special connector?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylanny View Post

The reality is, the 30 is too big. I mean, apples jump from 23 to 30 inches. I'd be happier w/ 27'.

It's beautiful, but I don't really need or want 30 inches. And with no height adjustment the top of the monitor is far above eye level which is annoying.

Er um.... I hope I'm not being a pest, but I need a special connector?

no, it's just a regular connecter to connect the moniter to your computer. you might already have one but it's just not apple

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ories/displays

it's one of the ones on that page. i'm not sure though, i'm not a moniter whizz and i'm not sure which one you'd need to connect the macpro to another moniter.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I have no idea what you're talking about but the displays come with a standard DVI connector.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:

no, it's just a regular connecter to connect the moniter to your computer. you might already have one but it's just not apple

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ories/displays

it's one of the ones on that page. i'm not sure though, i'm not a moniter whizz and i'm not sure which one you'd need to connect the macpro to another moniter.

It's an inustry standard DVI connector.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It's an inustry standard DVI connector.

as i said, a regular connecter, it's just from apple.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Blasphemy!

Not that you're getting a Dell monitor, which is fine as far as I can tell, but that you think 30" is too big! There's no such thing as too big (just sit further back). More seriously, If you're playing video games I can understand that there might actually big such as thing as "Too big." You don't get nausea from looking at big still images, though, which is the kind of computing I mostly do.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I don't play video games.

I don't think I'd think it was too big if it had a height adustment actually.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

I don't play video games.

I don't think I'd think it was too big if it had a height adustment actually.

Why don't you just put a phone book under it?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    No.... I want it lower!

I'd reduce that 4 inches of dead space to 1 inch and save the neck strain.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

No.... I want it lower!

I'd reduce that 4 inches of dead space to 1 inch and save the neck strain.

I used to have a Dell screen at work, height adjustable, and at the lowest setting there was still plenty of desk clearance. At least 4" Probably more.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I have both, I have a Dell on my PC and a 30" Cinema display for my Mac. They are both nice but I would never stick my Dell monitor on my Mac, that would be like sticking budget tyres on a Ferrari!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:

as i said, a regular connecter, it's just from apple.

I'm not sure why that matters. It shouldn't have to be from Apple at all. If they are using standard DVI cables, then that's all that matters. The only question is whether or not the Mac Pro uses a DVI connector on its end.