Printers + Macs = Headaches!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My trusty HP 1220c printer finally bit the dust after chewing up a printout and damaging the print head carriage... I need to replace my flimsy old beastie with a "reliable" new 13"x19" max sheet size printer, and it should be at least as fast as the 1220c.

Not too long ago, I bought a secondary backup printer, the HP 9650, and while it does make a nice print, it is slower than molasses compared to the quick prints I got out of the 1220c.

Anyone working in a moderate volume design studio or small office/home office situation who has had good experiences with either Canon or HP printers... what are your recommendations?

I've narrrowed it down to (maybe) the Canon PIXMA Pro9000 (not ideal since it is so large!), or the HP B8350, or the HP 9650... I'm not sure what the ink cost differences will be, although some online reviews suggest that the Canon ends up cheaper in the long run due to more ink cartridges...

Thanks, all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My trusty HP 1220c printer finally bit the dust after chewing up a printout and damaging the print head carriage... I need to replace my flimsy old beastie with a "reliable" new 13"x19" max sheet size printer, and it should be at least as fast as the 1220c.

Not too long ago, I bought a secondary backup printer, the HP 9650, and while it does make a nice print, it is slower than molasses compared to the quick prints I got out of the 1220c.

Anyone working in a moderate volume design studio or small office/home office situation who has had good experiences with either Canon or HP printers... what are your recommendations?

I've narrrowed it down to (maybe) the Canon PIXMA Pro9000 (not ideal since it is so large!), or the HP B8350, or the HP 9650... I'm not sure what the ink cost differences will be, although some online reviews suggest that the Canon ends up cheaper in the long run due to more ink cartridges...

Thanks, all.

There were a few years where I was heavily involved in printing/publishing. If it's down to canon and HP ink printers, you're probably not going to get something that's unsuitable. They both do a good job. Now, HP color lasers are absolute shit, but that's another technology. It's too bad you can't make do with tabloid, since there are dozens of great tabloid printers of all types. In that case, I would recommend a Ricoh color laser, which I adore so much that I am constantly trying to find excuses to buy one for personal use.

I would suggest getting the HP unless you think you will print out enough material that you'll actually tap into those lower volume prices for the canon. Since you seemed pleased with you 1220, it just seems like the best bet to stick with what works.