Spotlight doesn't find the files on the Windows partition anymore

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I had Windows XP installed on my Intel-iMac and had upgraded to Vista. It was always possible to search the Windows Hard drive with spotlight and also to open files or copy them to the Mac Partition. Now I´ve reformatted the Windows Partition and have made a clean Windows Vista Home Premium install.

Unfortunately I cannot access my Windows Files anymore. Spotlight only shows the file names with the extension .lnk, but I can´t open the files or copy them to the Mac Side anymore. As far as I know .lnk means link and the .lnk-files only have a size of several hundred bytes. How can I access the original files?

Ollie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    oh man, do yourself a favor, and put XP back on. Vista should not be released to the public. At first I thought it was great, but putting it into use and trying to rely on it for some job oriented stuff, very bad idea. I look at Vista as more of a toy at this point, not something to be depended on. XP has it's problems, but it is as stable as it's going to get right now, I think it's the way to go right now, plus, XP worked with spotlight you said.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You think that's bad, try searching for a photo in spotlight that resides in iPhoto. That's never worked for me.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Can't you set where Spotlight searches?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    You can only set exceptions.