Windows on Mac - a good idea?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I work for a web development company that uses a lot of ASP.NET, something that at this point isn't going to change. However I've had nothing but problems with laptops (damn you HP!) and have, like many others, fallen in love with vibe of MacBooks and the like. I want a really good laptop and I thought a Mac might be worth considering. In order for me to make the switch, I'd need to know that I could run the software I currently use (Adobe Creative Suite, MS Visual Studio, etc) on Windows XP.

Does anybody here run PC-based software on Windows XP and do they recommend it?

I expect there will be the temptation for someone to tell me to trash Windows XP and get all Mac software but that probably won't be an option.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i do a ton of .NET development on my mac, using Parallels, windows server 2003 / VS 2005 and Orcas. Works great. Easy to do backups, just drag the whole .hdd to a firewire drive. I only use Bootcamp (native booting of XP) for games such as Counterstrike and HL2 where I need the graphics card.

All around, can't lose. Best windows machine ever.

I don't really understand your question however. If you boot up windows on a mac, its no different than running windows on any other Intel based hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weszt View Post

I work for a web development company that uses a lot of ASP.NET, something that at this point isn't going to change. However I've had nothing but problems with laptops (damn you HP!) and have, like many others, fallen in love with vibe of MacBooks and the like. I want a really good laptop and I thought a Mac might be worth considering. In order for me to make the switch, I'd need to know that I could run the software I currently use (Adobe Creative Suite, MS Visual Studio, etc) on Windows XP.

I expect there will be the temptation for someone to tell me to trash Windows XP and get all Mac software but that probably won't be an option.

Thanks!

XP on my MacBook (using bootcamp) is the most stable MS experience I've ever had. Do it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weszt View Post

Thanks!

Well I run as much as I can through OS X, and use Boot Camp for the very few apps that can't. Don't try to install Vista even though it is supported with Boot Camp. It gave me nothing but problems and I just ended up deleting everything lol. XP SP2 would be your best bet. I hate Windows all together, but for the very few things I need it for, it works. I just try not to use it as much as possible.