Now that (the iphone) its been FCC approved, does anyone know if it records video?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Now that (the iphone) its been FCC approved, does anyone know if it records video?

I was just wondering did anyonme actualy go through the FCC report on the iphone see any signs of this phone being able to record video?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    And whats the standby time?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Anyone???

Or is it true that Americans dont know how to work video recording on phones which is why they dontuse it? lol
  • Reply 3 of 19
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Apple has so far only said it would take photos. It could in theory take video since the CPU is probably fast for a phone, but you may be forced into taking MPEG-4 clips. I can't imagine live H.264 encoding is realistic.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

...I was just wondering did anyonme actualy go through the FCC report on the iphone see any signs of this phone being able to record video?

By all means, read through the report and let know what it says.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

By all means, read through the report and let know what it says.

Or is it true that Brits don't know how to read which is why they expect Americans to do it for them?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Apple also asked the FCC to seal some of the documents until after the iPhone is released. Until then, everything is just silly speculation.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I've wondered about this capability also. Rather retrograde to not offer video these days.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've wondered about this capability also. Rather retrograde to not offer video these days.

I have only managed to find a few pages of the report, none of which point to camera capabilities let alone video so if you have that by all means please share

As for what format.. I dont think anyone is expecting H264.

Basic H263 is fine.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Even if the video is shit, it will do. If it doesn't do video, that would be a big no no.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    The worst video right now has to be qcif. QVGA and CIF are good and VGA is the best.

Im not expecting 30fps but at the least Apple should put in QVGA/CIF.

As its being released next month for you guys in the states shouldnt there be some reviews now or are apple not going to let anyone review it until after its out?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

As its being released next month for you guys in the states shouldnt there be some reviews now or are apple not going to let anyone review it until after its out?

No review iPhones will be sent out until the shipping date is announced, and that's the earliest they would send them out. Most likely reviewers will get their hands on one when the rest of us do.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

No review iPhones will be sent out until the shipping date is announced, and that's the earliest they would send them out. Most likely reviewers will get their hands on one when the rest of us do.

I'm sure a couple reviewers (Mossberg, Pogue) will receive them before it's shipped, but their mouths will be shut until the release date.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Ah well. Not long to go.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I can't imagine live H.264 encoding is realistic.

Why is that? There are a number of cheap video cameras that encode in h.264, like this one. And that one does 720p. I imagine the iphone could do VGA h.264, which is the iTunes Store native format.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Why is that? There are a number of cheap video cameras that encode in h.264, like this one. And that one does 720p. I imagine the iphone could do VGA h.264, which is the iTunes Store native format.

I could be way of but H264 encoding is a bigger strain on the battery (i think). But H263 fine anyway.

Sersiously Apple dont need VGA 30fps video or anything that high, just something in the middle like QVGA/CIF 15fps. On such a big screen im not sure how videos would look if they were qcif. And if the same rule applies that all videos have to be watched in widescreen then putting qcif would just be even sillier.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    VGA 30fps can fill up 2gb in 30 min
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Whats that got to do with anything. In any case it wont be vga 30fps, I think 15fps is possible but again with such a small lens I cant imagine anything higher than CIF.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I went to the iphone add at apple.com and it said in the fine.

...p to 5 hours of battery life is based on H.264 1.5-Mbps video at 640-by-480 resolution combined with 128-Kbps audio....
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I think the 640 by 480 resolution your referring to is the ratio of the H264 being watched. Not captured