Refurbished AppleTV in the Apple Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just a heads up. There are refurbished Apple TV's in the Apple store for $249.99.

I wonder when the new Airport Extremes (802.11n) will show up refurbed...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    My AppleTV has ran perfectly since I purchased it about a month ago. Apparently someone has not had good luck and their AppleTV was turned in. That's kind of soon considering it shipped not long ago. Should I buy the protection plan?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post

My AppleTV has ran perfectly since I purchased it about a month ago. Apparently someone has not had good luck and their AppleTV was turned in. That's kind of soon considering it shipped not long ago. Should I buy the protection plan?

Just because there are refurbs available doesn't mean anything is wrong...someone just changed their mind and returned it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Just because there are refurbs available doesn't mean anything is wrong...someone just changed their mind and returned it.

Based on yesterday's scathing review by an Australian tech web page, I'd expect more of this.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Based on yesterday's scathing review by an Australian tech web page, I'd expect more of this.

Absolutely. I base all my purchase decisions on opinions of Australian tech web pages.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Absolutely. I base all my purchase decisions on opinions of Australian tech web pages.

There has been plenty of discussion about the crippled nature of AppleTV, so I'm not going to get into that circular debate again.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Quote:

There has been plenty of discussion about the crippled nature of AppleTV, so I'm not going to get into that circular debate again.

No need to. But holding up a review by an "Australian tech web page" as a sign of harsh criticism of AppleTV is, shall we say, weak, especially considering the generally positive reviews from more respected (and named) sources - The NY Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNET...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

No need to. But holding up a review by an "Australian tech web page" as a sign of harsh criticism of AppleTV is, shall we say, weak, especially considering the generally positive reviews from more respected (and named) sources - The NY Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNET...

Hell, you don't even have to go that far, read AI's new 5 page review. AppleTV is a mutt.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Hell, you don't even have to go that far, read AI's new 5 page review. AppleTV is a mutt.

You mean the part where they say, "Apple TV provides a drop-dead simple way to watch computer-based content from the comfort of the living room."? Or, "Apple TV offers a wide enough set of features to appeal to a variety of users, even those already invested in a source of higher quality HD movies"?

Again, if we're going for credibility, NY Times and WSJ beat AI. If you have your own negative review of AppleTV, go nuts. I have a very positive one from the experience of actually owning an AppleTV since day one. But all I was trying to say (or, let's be honest, make fun of) was the suggestion than a review by an "Australian tech web page" was somehow going to widely influence the perception of AppleTV.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

You mean the part where they say, "Apple TV provides a drop-dead simple way to watch computer-based content from the comfort of the living room."? Or, "Apple TV offers a wide enough set of features to appeal to a variety of users, even those already invested in a source of higher quality HD movies"?

Again, if we're going for credibility, NY Times and WSJ beat AI. If you have your own negative review of AppleTV, go nuts. I have a very positive one from the experience of actually owning an AppleTV since day one. But all I was trying to say (or, let's be honest, make fun of) was the suggestion than a review by an "Australian tech web page" was somehow going to widely influence the perception of AppleTV.

Yes, I get it, who listens to Aussies after all? \

However, I read the same 5 page review. They didn't just say positive things about it.

- As a non-HDTV owner, AppleTV is not for me.

- As someone who would loooove to be able to record video in a TiVo-ish way, AppleTV is not for me.

- As I like the additional features offered by DVDs (commentary, special features, etc.) AppleTV is not for me.

- As I like to "own" my movies when I buy them, and be able to sell or trade it when I'm sick of owning it, AppleTV is not for me.

That short list is just the beginning of the reasons why AppleTV is an underwhelming first attempt at this kind of product. It's not the Apple I've known and loved for many years now.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O_rly View Post

Just a heads up. There are refurbished Apple TV's in the Apple store for $249.99.

I wonder when the new Airport Extremes (802.11n) will show up refurbed...

Don't forget folks ? ANY Apple TV units used at the Apple Stores, or ANY trdaeshows i.e., MacWorld and such, are sold as "Refurbushed Units"! So it may (or not) be a unit simply looked at, try or play with for 1 day or so.

Skip