What to do in Amsterdam

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm going to be spending some time in Amsterdam ... what should I do/see?

I've been to the Van Gogh and Rijks museums, but now that the weather is nice, I plan to get out and walk around (or bicycle) a bit more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Smoke up? Actually it is a really beautiful city and a great one to walk around. If you can get there when the lines aren't bad I'd suggest going to the Anne Frank house. The zoo is also pretty cool.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

Smoke up?

Not an option for me Random testing at work and all... resulting in prison terms if one tests positive
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    You're kidding, right?

and
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Not an option for me Random testing at work and all... resulting in prison terms if one tests positive

That is crazy. There was also a great flea market, but I can't remember where and it was a while ago. Got one of my favorite shirts there though.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    The red-light district is a must-see tourist attraction, as is the hemp museum (right in the middle of the red-light district )

There is a pretty decent Madame Tussaud's wax museum too, within a 5 minute walk from the (wait for it...) red-light district

You are just a little late for Keukenhof, the Tulip place.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    If you can pull yourself away from pot and sex the Anne Frank House is something to see.

Go to the orchestra there too. I skipped it but my wife went.

What else did I do there? Boat trip on a canal. Rented bikes.

Don't skip the museums because you've been there before. They always have something new. Plus I could see those works over and over again. Get the museum pass.

Vondel park was good.

Catch a "football" game if you can.

Oh they have great dance companies there. Go to the museumplein and see what's going on around there.

Floating flower market. I went to that flea market. My wife bought some kind of aborted lamb fur coat that's ban in the US there Or so she says.

Dutch restaurants aren't that great there but dutch ricestaffel is nice. We went to some place called the Lion and ... or Tiger and ... or Stag and the Lion ... I don't remember.

I feel like I did more there but can't remember.

If you're into science there's got to be a good van Leeuwenhoek exhibit there.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Here it is Antelope and the Tiger.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...am/D36325.html
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I think my favorite memory of Amsterdam is when some strangers wanted to give us flowers and our NYC selves were taken aback and then they explained that it was a wedding and they just wanted to spread joy. So surreal and wonderful. So in a way I would say the best thing you could do in Amsterdam is just be and the good stuff will find you.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Catch a "football" game if you can.

Season is over, but you're right. There's no sporting atmosphere in the US that holds a candle to european football. I've never seen it in south america or mexico, but I bet it's pretty good there too, albeit the quality is supposedly lower.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I feel like I did more there but can't remember.

• Reply 11 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I've never seen it in south america or mexico, but I bet it's pretty good there too, albeit the quality is supposedly lower.

That could start a thread right there.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    You gotta ask?

Planet Raisa-Lite.

Have a great time!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 13 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That could start a thread right there.

Maybe as far as Brazilian league vs. Dutch league, but certainly not Europe vs. rest of the world. All of the best from around the world eventually end up playing in European clubs.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You're kidding, right?

and

no.

US Transportation industry / FAA really frowns on that stuff.

Had fun though... didn't do anything other than walk around and sample food and beer at various cafes/restaurants while we watched the boats go by. Stopped at nearly every cafe we passed (it seems). Sunny and 21 degrees both days.

Perhaps next week I'll try be a bit more "touristy".