How old for computer work?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I really enjoy building computers. Long story short, I have built a few, and one is currently my personal FTP / file server.

Anyway, I want to get paid for this hobby, but I think I am too young for someone to want me taking the case off of their computer. Whould you trust a kid in high school to help you build a computer or update your RAM? How about software problems?

And if not, what about after I take Computer Science III next year?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    No, because you haven't even posted your page on your AI Profile Page.

Otherwise yes if I couldn't do so myself, but if I'm going to update my RAM or something I'd probably just drop by the genius bar and pay for Apple's overpriced RAM if for no other reason than to save a bit of time. But I'm also biased (look at my own profile)

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tankgunk View Post

I really enjoy building computers. Long story short, I have built a few, and one is currently my personal FTP / file server.

Anyway, I want to get paid for this hobby, but I think I am too young for someone to want me taking the case off of their computer. Whould you trust a kid in high school to help you build a computer or update your RAM? How about software problems?

And if not, what about after I take Computer Science III next year?

To hell with the CS III -- go to Amazon, buy some used books, and hump it out. Build up your reputation and experience with family/friends first -- you have the time -- and make sure you know your material. If you can fix grandma's computer, or save Uncle Bob from a triple-redundant virus tool snafu, you can bet they'll tell someone who's having problems. The rest should follow naturally.

Mozart wrote his first composition at five -- age is an artificial distinction; ability is not.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

age is an artificial distinction; ability is not.

While true, don't eliminate future options in your career choices because it seems like a waste of time now. If CS III is an easy A for you, do it. While ability will get you many places, and it can't be faked, documentable education is still the standard used for hiring purposes in industry. Sad but true. The diploma/certification gets you in the door, the ability gets you the promotions.

I also started early, but I wouldn't have been able to get where I am today, without the diplomas. It was still me doing the same research I would have done anyway, but having the letters after the name was what got me the referral.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

While true, don't eliminate future options in your career choices because it seems like a waste of time now. If CS III is an easy A for you, do it. While ability will get you many places, and it can't be faked, documentable education is still the standard used for hiring purposes in industry. Sad but true. The diploma/certification gets you in the door, the ability gets you the promotions.

I also started early, but I wouldn't have been able to get where I am today, without the diplomas. It was still me doing the same research I would have done anyway, but having the letters after the name was what got me the referral.

CS III at my school is really just helping the two sysadmins in our school district for a semester and then doing a project of some kind at the end. So really it is the best of both worlds. I get some actual experience and CS III on my record, and it's probably going to be fun.

Anyway, time for bed...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

CS III at my school is really just helping the two sysadmins...

I take that back then, you couldn't ask for a better situation to learn in, than down in the trenches.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No, because you haven't even posted your page on your AI Profile Page...

Meaning my webpage? My server does run apache, but I don't really have anything there worthwile, especially considering the uplink of my internet connection is 64 kbps.

However, I quickly cooked up a page where my future Debian webserver tutorial will sit, and I'll be happy to add that to my profile.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Meaning my webpage? My server does run apache, but I don't really have anything there worthwile, especially considering the uplink of my internet connection is 64 kbps.

However, I quickly cooked up a page where my future Debian webserver tutorial will sit, and I'll be happy to add that to my profile.

I actually meant your AI profile, and the reason being that I normally wouldn't trust anyone to open the case on any computer I own unless I normally know a bit about the person that's actually opening it.

Otherwise, I don't mind.... *goes back and rereads post*

Wow some Typo... I said Page instead of Age

Bleh, I'm not your target market anyways so listening to my above advice won't do you any good, so go for it. As long as you can build computers like you said you can, you shouldn't encounter any problems along the way. Anyone who would dismiss you simply because you are a high school student is a complete idiot.

Sebastian