Powermac G4 DP vs. Macbook Pro??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to be replacing my dual processor Powermac G4 with a Macbook Pro when the new revision comes out. I do light video editing and photoshop work, and was wondering how much faster (generally speaking) the Macbook Pro would be.

My DP G4 Powermac is spec'd as follows:

Dual 1 Ghz Processors, 2 80 gig harddrives (7200rmps)

2 gigs of ram

upgraded videocard (ati radeon 9600 w/256 mb vram)

Is my current machine just as fast? Will I notice a big performance increase if I switch to the high end 15" Macbook Pro?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strangecargo View Post

I'm going to be replacing my dual processor Powermac G4 with a Macbook Pro when the new revision comes out. I do light video editing and photoshop work, and was wondering how much faster (generally speaking) the Macbook Pro would be.

My DP G4 Powermac is spec'd as follows:

Dual 1 Ghz Processors, 2 80 gig harddrives (7200rmps)

2 gigs of ram

upgraded videocard (ati radeon 9600 w/256 mb vram)

Is my current machine just as fast? Will I notice a big performance increase if I switch to the high end 15" Macbook Pro?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated!

your old HD's may end up being faster
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,436moderator
    Quote:

Is my current machine just as fast?

Nowhere near it. One core on the MBP is faster than your machine and the MBP has two cores. The system bus and memory are much faster. It will be at least double and at some things it will be as much as 4 times faster.

Quote:

Will I notice a big performance increase if I switch to the high end 15" Macbook Pro?

Yes but only under certain conditions. A 7200 rpm laptop drive would be better but it's harder to get one for the new MBPs due to them not being upgradable and Apple not offering them BTO in anything under the 17" model. Don't get the 4200 rpm one whatever you do.

The main condition would be that you run CS3. Don't even think about CS2 or below.

I would actually go for the lower MBP. Even with 2GB Ram upgrade, it's still about £250 cheaper and the only difference is the 128MB VRam, which you likely won't use anyway and 170MHz per core, which won't make a noticable difference. Put the saving into upgrading to CS3 if you don't have it. I think that's about the price of upgrading CS2 to CS3 actually - not if you just have Photoshop though in which case you will definitely need the money.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! I'm definitely gonna get the low end Macbook Pro...once the new revisions come out. And I'm hoping for a 7200 rmp harddrive option!