Time to promote el Capitan! (Powermac case design)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since the glorious return of Steve, we have seen some serious design changes to all of the product lines:

<Old iMac-New iMac>

<Old iBook-New iBook>

<Old Powerbook-New Powerbook>

The Powermac, however, has gone through only cosmetic changes,

from to

What do you the next Powermac case will look like? Ideas, specs, drawings, mock-ups all encouraged.

Personally, I was intrigued by the quote form the TIME article about steve saying 'why should a computer stand on it's side?', so I'd be betting on a flat case, myself.

Another idea is with iMacs' space saving mission, maybe Apple will make the next Powermac an actual piece of desktop utility, or even a desktop itself.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of.

SdC

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    I think that when it comes to the pros, Apple needs to focus more on function than form. Don't get me wrong - they aren't gonna ship some shit-looking metal box, but I highly doubt they would do anything too radical with the tower case. It needs to be bigger so you can add a second 5.25" drive, and maybe also have the 4 RAM slots w/ 4 PCI + 1 AGP.

I also really think Apple should go back to something like the old ZIF design for the processor so upgrading is easier. Sure they want to make their money on you buying a new machine, but it's not cool to screw your customers by making your machines hard to upgrade.

I doubt we'll see any case changes at MWSF...unless they have G5s. But I doubt they have G5s. Maybe WWDC...

I do think the tower case has aged much better than the iMac one. It has been modified hardly at all and I think it still looks very stylish and modern, whereas the old iMac looks very outdated these days. Apple may feel they can keep it around almost indefinitely.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I dunno. The rest of the Apples keep getting small, thinner, etc.....The Powermac case might be shrunk, too.

SdC