How to replace icons

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello, iI have just downloaded some icons from InterfaceLIFT.com and I dont know how to install them...

Any ideas?

They are like empy folders and I hope I wont have to install them manualy!

Thanks....

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    1) Do a File > Get Info on the file (command-I)

    2) Click on the icon

    3) Copy it (command-C)

    4) Find the file/folder/app/whatever you want the icon to appear on and do a Get Info on that too

    5) Click on the existing icon and paste (command-V)



    This can also be done with any image you have in the clipboard, so go ahead and copy/paste whatever image you want as an icon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Anyone know how to get Alpha to work on home made icons. I've got .pngs or .gifs with transparent backgrounds but as soon as they get pasted on to a folder they get assigned a white background.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    Anyone know how to get Alpha to work on home made icons. I've got .pngs or .gifs with transparent backgrounds but as soon as they get pasted on to a folder they get assigned a white background.



    You'll need to make sure that the icon has a mask (or separate alpha channel). MacOSX uses an 8-bit grayscale image as the mask, plus a legacy 1-bit mask. There's a couple of things you can do to get around this, but it's probably best to use an icon editor for precise control.



    Apple includes its own icon editor with the optional developer tools called "Icon Composer". It's not great though - I tend to use Iconographer. It allows you to control each part of an icon in great detail. However, it's not universal yet and doesn't support any of the new Leopard icon improvements like PDF based icons or 512x512 pixel icons. Iconfactory also makes a nice Photoshop plug-in that lets you convert images to icons called Icon Builder.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kon_liapis View Post


    Hello, iI have just downloaded some icons from InterfaceLIFT.com and I dont know how to install them...

    Any ideas?

    They are like empy folders and I hope I wont have to install them manualy!

    Thanks....



    Interfacelift icons own.

    Do as yama suggested, but don't paste them with command+v, do it fron the edit>paste menu, some of them work only like this.This method works for applications also.

    For the finder or for other system applications I use candybar.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post


    You'll need to make sure that the icon has a mask (or separate alpha channel). MacOSX uses an 8-bit grayscale image as the mask, plus a legacy 1-bit mask. There's a couple of things you can do to get around this, but it's probably best to use an icon editor for precise control..



    Thanks! ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    - ?(r)?z -- ?(r)?z - Posts: 127member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    Anyone know how to get Alpha to work on home made icons. I've got .pngs or .gifs with transparent backgrounds but as soon as they get pasted on to a folder they get assigned a white background.



    The best, the simplest -- and it's free.



    "Pick your favorite file, folder or image and drag it over the cube; check the preview and then double-click the cube to save as an icns file or as a resource–fork–only file."



    http://www.digitalwaters.net/progett.../fasticns.html



    For some reason, the new site link where you download from isn't loading.
Sign In or Register to comment.