Anyone have a CCNA Cert?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm getting ready to ramp up studying for my CCNA. Does anyone here have it?

I already have a lot of certs including Network+, Linux+, ACSA, MCP, ACHDC, ACTC, etc. I figured why not get a CCNA. I have heard that on average it can be a lucrative cert in terms of salary, etc. I love technology and always try to extend my horizons and keep learning new stuff. I figured I would be studying for my Leopard exams by now, but since OS X 10.5 was pushed back until October I might as well get a non-Apple cert in as a stop-gap.

Was it hard?

What did you use for study material?

Can you compare it to any other certs in terms of complexity, etc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

I already have a lot of certs including Network+, Linux+, ACSA, MCP, ACHDC, ACTC, etc. I figured why not get a CCNA. I have heard that on average it can be a lucrative cert in terms of salary, etc. I love technology and always try to extend my horizons and keep learning new stuff. I figured I would be studying for my Leopard exams by now, but since OS X 10.5 was pushed back until October I might as well get a non-Apple cert in as a stop-gap.

Was it hard?

Why not go for your MCSA instead? Long term, you will probably get more bang for your buck.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Was it hard?

Are you currently working in IT? certs are not all they are sold to be, they are great to have but the current climate is such that a Bachelors degree is pretty much required if you want to move into IT management at some point (which you do if you like the idea of a 6-figure salary) and hey, if you like the idea of having the corner office with the view and a company car, go for an MBA...

BUT FOR NOW:

The CCNA is NOT anything like a CompTIA exam, it is actually really challenging...the knowledge you will gain, pass or fail, is great to have too. but is was the hardest test I have ever taken, and unfortunately failed.

GO FOR IT!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Why not go for your MCSA instead? Long term, you will probably get more bang for your buck.

Dave

Right now MCSA/E is on server 03, server 08 (longhirn) is due before the end of the year...so no, it isnt a long term bet. no tech cert is.