Redesigning the YouTube player?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There's a thread over on digg in which a guy redesigned the YouTube player, however I think he could have done a better job. If you sat down to redesign the player to look like you wanted it to look and function, without frightening away or confusing any existing users, I don't think you'd be happy with what he came up with. Sure I applaud the guy for the effort, and for giving it a go. I was thinking it needed a redesign for some time, but I never talked to anyone about it.

I did a little redesign version myself. I tried to keep it subtle, while making some of what I think are necessary changes.

Standard player:.......My version:

What's your view on the subject?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    well i do like it, but mabay a change of colours, i also like the old slider button thing on the timeline. The old one has more curved edges and your one i think is better with a smaller curve on it. Lastly the red line on the timeline on the old one had a gradient on it, yours is plain red, i must say sorry but i do prefer the old one better on that point.

Overall your re-design is good, i think alot of work need to be put into it, possibly coming up with somehting completly new! not too sure TBH!

well done on the re-design

P.T
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwantamac!

well i do like it, but mabay a change of colours, i also like the old slider button thing on the timeline. The old one has more curved edges and your one i think is better with a smaller curve on it. Lastly the red line on the timeline on the old one had a gradient on it, yours is plain red, i must say sorry but i do prefer the old one better on that point.

Your criticisms are spot on, the problem is I did it in iWeb, and had very limited choice with concern to gradients and all. The timeline wasn't of main concern to me, as there was more important things to do I thought. I may try and adjust it, I'll post the next version back here.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Double post..
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Here:

Standard player:.......New version:

I also added a subtle change to the volume control, though that's hardly noticeable.