Will new IBM laptop work with Mac airport or will Mac with with a pc version airport?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My wife is going to be getting a brand new IBM laptop for her job. As such, she wants to be able to connect wirelessly when she's home.

I don't have an airport yet but am going to get one when I get a new MBP (which could be in a month or less).

So, will the MBP work with a PC wireless system or would it be easier (if at all possible) to connect the IBM to the airport system?

Thanks to all who answer...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

My wife is going to be getting a brand new IBM laptop for her job. As such, she wants to be able to connect wirelessly when she's home.

I don't have an airport yet but am going to get one when I get a new MBP (which could be in a month or less).

So, will the MBP work with a PC wireless system or would it be easier (if at all possible) to connect the IBM to the airport system?

Thanks to all who answer...

yes... both ways will work.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/ -> it says "Mac + PC".
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And just to give you a real world data point, I work at IBM, with my MacBook. I also worked at home with a ThinkPad for a while. No issues.

(And just to nitpick - IBM doesn't sell laptops anymore. It's a Lenovo laptop, or a ThinkPad. The IBM logo is on it for a while longer as a marketing deal so Lenovo could keep using the IBM brand for brand recognition.)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

And just to give you a real world data point, I work at IBM, with my MacBook. I also worked at home with a ThinkPad for a while. No issues.

(And just to nitpick - IBM doesn't sell laptops anymore. It's a Lenovo laptop, or a ThinkPad. The IBM logo is on it for a while longer as a marketing deal so Lenovo could keep using the IBM brand for brand recognition.)

Thanks crookedspoon and Kickaha,

SInce it's my wife getting the IBM (Lenovo) laptop, I'll look for a pc wireless system so if there are any issues, she can't complain that it's Apple's fault...

One last question for anybody? How secure are wireless systems? I'm worried that if I log into my bank or email account, somebody could read all of my screens. Can this be prevented?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Just received shipment of X60's. No mo IBM. Lenovo tag now.