WWDC Predictions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I posted these in the main WWDC thread, but nobody paid attention to them:

1) Apple replaces the MacMini with a new product that will serve a similar purpose and market segment, much like the iPod Nano replaced the iPod Mini (no MacNano jokes please )

2) Leopard features an enhanced BootCamp that will allow for easier emulation of Windows programs within OS X. The requirement that the user purchase and install a copy of Windows will still apply.

3) Finder will no longer be the centre of OS X. It will be replaced by a version of Spotlight on steroids. The Finder will still be available, but it will not be running by default.

4) The iMac loses its chin and will allow users to swap hard drives as they do RAM. They won't be able to open up the back as they did with the very first iMac.

5) Leopard includes a graphical version of MacPorts that can also be used as a repository for open source .app programs.

6) Apple open sources its version of Java. Now that Sun's version is open sourced and Apple's Java 6.0 is over 6 month behind Sun's, Apple has to do this. Also, since Apple's devs are also working on the iPhone and Apple TV, they no longer have the resources to maintain a separate version of Java on their own. It will not open source the native Aqua code that's used by Swing, only the Java classes that access that native code.

7) Bonjour takes a prominent role in Leopard, as well as the AppleTV and the iPhone (this is inspired from roughlydrafted.com, so I can't take full credit for this prediction).

8) Now that all first party apps (Finder, Safari, iTunes) have had their themes unified, Apple will replace the Mac look n' feel with something radically different from Aqua, far more significant than the change to brushed metal from pinstripes and just as significant as the move to OS X itself.

Flame away!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So a MacNano walks into a bar...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    ...and says to the bartender, "Could you put in on my tab? I'm a little short."
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The bartender says "How can I put it on your Tab if you don't walk in with a keyboard?"

I blame the sangria.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I posted these in the main WWDC thread, but nobody paid attention to them:

1) Apple replaces the MacMini with a new product that will serve a similar purpose and market segment, much like the iPod Nano replaced the iPod Mini (no MacNano jokes please )

2) Leopard features an enhanced BootCamp that will allow for easier emulation of Windows programs within OS X. The requirement that the user purchase and install a copy of Windows will still apply.

3) Finder will no longer be the centre of OS X. It will be replaced by a version of Spotlight on steroids. The Finder will still be available, but it will not be running by default.

4) The iMac loses its chin and will allow users to swap hard drives as they do RAM. They won't be able to open up the back as they did with the very first iMac.

5) Leopard includes a graphical version of MacPorts that can also be used as a repository for open source .app programs.

6) Apple open sources its version of Java. Now that Sun's version is open sourced and Apple's Java 6.0 is over 6 month behind Sun's, Apple has to do this. Also, since Apple's devs are also working on the iPhone and Apple TV, they no longer have the resources to maintain a separate version of Java on their own. It will not open source the native Aqua code that's used by Swing, only the Java classes that access that native code.

7) Bonjour takes a prominent role in Leopard, as well as the AppleTV and the iPhone (this is inspired from roughlydrafted.com, so I can't take full credit for this prediction).

8) Now that all first party apps (Finder, Safari, iTunes) have had their themes unified, Apple will replace the Mac look n' feel with something radically different from Aqua, far more significant than the change to brushed metal from pinstripes and just as significant as the move to OS X itself.

Flame away!

OK.. I'll take that last comment to heart.

1) @ the first Joke

2) No.

3) HELL NO! As much as I hate the Finder, I don't have to deal with it very much and it's not completely unusable. Spotlight... I wouldn't touch the thing with a 24,999 Mile and 1, 609.343 meter pole with gloves in a suit of armor complete with chain mail and a sword that can slay any evil (except Spotlight of course) and if it was Spotlight on Steroids I'd be packing my bags and moving to Mars.

4) Sure

5) Why Not

6) Sure

7) YES!!!! (I Hope)

8) Ditto

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    1. New MacBook Pro's

2. Leopard demo

3. One more thing... New iMac's
  • Reply 6 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    I'm going with 2 sets of predictions today. One in case a Macworld-like event happens... and one in case it's actually normal.

First in case of Macworld-likeness:

1. Break Glass

2. Some mention about Sales

3. Brief Mention of iPhone's status for developers (taking the role Apple TV played... sort of)

4. LEOPARD LEOPARD LEOPARD

5. One Last News Update (something like what happened when they dropped Computer from Apple Computer)

6. A Closing Concert as they pass out Feature Complete Betas of Leopard

7. The Macbook Pro and iMac are updated and a press release is issued later on in the day

8. All hell breaks loose in the Forums, doesn't matter which Forums, just the Forums

9. News.com, Informationweek, the Evening News, Digg, Slashdot, and Bloggers spread information

10. 1 Week later all sites mentioned in Step 9 begin spreading Misinformation Misquoting Steve (and themselves) and general chaos ensues until Leopard is released

Now for the Normal prediction:

1. Don't Break the Glass (Covering tracks, how many people are there this year, etc.)

2. Some Mention about Sales

3. A Brief mention of the iPhone

4. New Hardware (Macbook Pro, iMac)

5. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (possibly with a mention about what the hell happened to iLife and iWork this year at Macworld)

6. A Closing Concert and Feature Complete Leopard Betas are passed out

7. Press Releases are issued covering the days events and people have trouble connecting to watch the Keynote on Apple's site

8. All hell breaks loose in the Forums, doesn't matter which Forums, just the Forums

9. News.com, Informationweek, the Evening News, Digg, Slashdot, and Bloggers spread information

10. 1 Week later all sites mentioned in Step 9 begin spreading Misinformation Misquoting Steve (and themselves) and general chaos ensues until Leopard is released

You know, maybe they're not so different after all.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    "......10. One week later all sites mentioned in Step 9 begin spreading Misinformation Misquoting Steve (and themselves) and general chaos ensues until Leopard [and the iPhone] is released......"

Heh.