why buy a powerbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm curious why someone would buy a PowerBook? Here are the specs. What's the incentive if Apple now uses Intel and the current Intel Macs are being upgraded? Is there something about this that makes it a bargain and I don't realize it?

Refurbished PowerBook 17-inch 1.67GHz SuperDrive

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

100GB Hard Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 MB DDR)

AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates

Backlit keyboard

Dual link DVI

? Save 41% off the original price

Original price: $2,699.00

Your price: $1,599.00

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post

I'm curious why someone would buy a PowerBook? Here are the specs. What's the incentive if Apple now uses Intel and the current Intel Macs are being upgraded? Is there something about this that makes it a bargain and I don't realize it?

Refurbished PowerBook 17-inch 1.67GHz SuperDrive

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

100GB Hard Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 MB DDR)

AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates

Backlit keyboard

Dual link DVI

? Save 41% off the original price

Original price: $2,699.00

Your price: $1,599.00

I suppose if someone already uses these machines extensively in some established mobile workflow, and can't permit extensive evaluation of MacBook Pros as replacements, this might come in handy. I imagine a heavy dependence on some non-Universal apps might also make these a handy choice.

Although I will grant that I'm certain they have limited appeal these days.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Some older peripherals such as a Canon laser printer from 6 years ago will not work with INtel Macs and the makers do not plan on upgrading. If you have some or many of the these older devices, you need a Mac that is not Intel.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I can't speak to the 15 and 17 inch models, but the 12 inch powerbooks are still Apple's most portable portable. Just look at what they can fetch on ebay. If a person were looking for the most mobile solution for an adjunctive machine, that 12 inch powerbook might be the best choice out there.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    As a newcomer to Mac (trying to wait and see if new iMac or Mac notebook announced at June conference before I buy) I'm concluding that a PowerBook or iBook is not best. I think someone like me needs that bridge provided by running Windoze and Mac on the same computer. I have only used Macs owned by someone else and I think the machines are great. However, if PowerBook has some outstanding quality not found in the new Macs I thought maybe it was worth pursuing.