wow am i mad at cingular/AT&T

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
ok so i called 4 different cingular stores the week after iPhone was announced. I was top 5 at each store of these on the waiting list for the iphone. i went into today since the iphone will be launched later this month and wanted to check if the list was all good and if they had any more info for me....nope..they DELETED the lists, yes each store. i couldnt beleive it i was furious, basically they said AT&T can no longer have a waiting list, and to go to apple..........ya sure lemme get right on that one month before the launch lol. I remember calling apple too and they said they wont do waiting lists and to just try cingular, which did the waiting list

basically im screwed out of an iphone now since i hear the max any store is getting is like 40 phones? =/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Get there early, like everyone else who wants one. It's not like you're the only person who got dropped.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Get there early, like everyone else who wants one. It's not like you're the only person who got dropped.

Somehow, I suspect Apple will be making a few of these phones. Look on the bright side; by the time you get one they'll probably already have upped the memory to 8 or 16 GB~!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ok so i called 4 different cingular stores the week after iPhone was announced. I was top 5 at each store of these on the waiting list for the iphone. i went into today since the iphone will be launched later this month and wanted to check if the list was all good and if they had any more info for me....nope..they DELETED the lists, yes each store. i couldnt beleive it i was furious, basically they said AT&T can no longer have a waiting list, and to go to apple..........ya sure lemme get right on that one month before the launch lol. I remember calling apple too and they said they wont do waiting lists and to just try cingular, which did the waiting list

basically im screwed out of an iphone now since i hear the max any store is getting is like 40 phones? =/

I thought Apple put the kibash on pre-orders and waiting lists?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Even though this should go in the iPhone Forum I've known the only way your getting one is waiting since day 1. It's just like any other Apple product. I'll probably be waiting outside my local Apple store.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ebaydan777ebaydan777 Posts: 269member
    ya it was apple that made cingular/AT&T drop the waiting lists for some reason, its basically set to first come first serve, but they should have got their S**t together from day one this should have been planned out better with the service company. Oh well im a bit upset cause i doubt ill get the phone now im not camping out again, i already did for the ps3, and 360 haha im over it. and ya hopefully they up the memory down the road maybe by xmas
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

Do people really need to get one this quickly? It's just a phone.

I'd rather wait for people to get all the dodgy first models. This is a pretty high risk experimental product remember. What if the touch screen doesn't work that well in everyday use?

It was really bad that they got rid of the waiting list though. Maybe you should go with someone else and tell them about it. Mobile phone companies hate losing to the competition. Though in this case they might not care much as they know the iphone will sell.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    get serious. i don't think you'll need to "camp out", just get to the store very early if it's that important to you.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

They should have at least called you to let you know they were deleting it.\
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That would have been nice, but I've gotta say that actions like this: "i called 4 different cingular stores the week after iPhone was announced. I was top 5 at each store" are one reason why companies don't use waiting lists.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

That would have been nice, but I've gotta say that actions like this: "i called 4 different cingular stores the week after iPhone was announced. I was top 5 at each store" are one reason why companies don't use waiting lists.

I agree. People calling up multiple stores to get on waiting lists can really screw things up for everyone else. So may people get on these lists and never bother honouring their commitment and because of that other buyers get turned away. Pre-orders I can understand, not may people pre-order from multiple locations if they have to lay down a non returnable deposit. I think Apple are doing the right thing by providing a fair and unbiased point of sale.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Pick the closest store to your house and make sure the day before that they will have inventory. You can also go in the day before and fill out the forms (dated the next day) to make the buying process go faster when there is a long line. Then it is simply a matter of getting up early and heading to the store. If you get there before the store opens you'll probably be fine - just wait in line! Unless you are in a very large city there probably won't be that many people in line, making it an easy buy.

Good luck getting your iPhone - I'm envious!