TB or not TB

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
More wierd news.

A guy with drug-resistant TB boards a plane after being told not to as he could infect others. He was trying to return to the US to save his own life (in his opinion) as it was more important than the people he put at risk.

He is a lawyer.

He flew to Canada and slipped across the border.

What is going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    it gets better

He was diagnosed prior to ever leaving the US. He claims he did not know he was contagious, before he left. This is strange, given that TB is contagious in general. He may not have known it was XTB, but he knew he had TB. Also, his father in-law is a researcher with the CDC....involved in TB research!

Next, he was contacted and warned in Rome by the CDC and told to get treatment and NOT FLY. He realizes he will not be allowed to fly into the US, so he flies to Prague, then to Montreal to avoid the US no-fly list and drives across the border to the US. Then he has the nerve to claim he did not know he was contagious.

This jackass is a personal injury lawyer. I hope he gets sued into deep dark hole and is left financially ruined. He deserves it for so callously risking so many peoples lives because of his own selfishness.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I want to know how a nominally healthy man gets infected with X-TB. It is rare, very rare. And his father in law works for 32 years at CDC studying TB? You can't make this up. There has to be a connection.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    What part of the warnings not to fly did this guy, a lawyer, not understand? Why did his father supposedly record the meeting with te doctors? Where is that recording?

Whacko. (He's a lawyer, what do we expect?)

Sue him into oblivion. Indeed, the pasengers and airline for his return flight have every right to sue for reckless endangerment or something like that. Each of them.

I¥'ll bet international airlines will soon start placing statements in their contracts about passengers with communicable diseases.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

This jackass is a personal injury lawyer. I hope he gets sued into deep dark hole and is left financially ruined. He deserves it for so callously risking so many peoples lives because of his own selfishness.

I hope he dies, painfully, as is expected. ANd in the news he's made out to be a victim. Of what? His own arrogance and stupidity?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    When analyzing this case, I think we should set the ground rule that he certainly didn't know he was a danger to anyone until he got to Europe. After all, his wife most likely wouldn't be with him if there was a chance of her getting infected (unless she is insane or something.) His wife's father obviously would know if he was a danger to his own daughter.

So if he is guilty of something I think it is only of coming back. He would have had to pay $140,000 for a private flight (a year's salary) or take the risk of not getting the proper medical treatment in Denver. If the guy wasn't feeling sick for the last few months and wasn't feeling sick now and was told that it only spreads when you have active symptoms, then I could maybe see him taking a 1/1000 chance of possibly infecting someone else on the plane.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    The guy was diagnosed with TB before leaving the US, a disease known by most intelligent adults to be a rather dangerous and difficult and that has a rather high death rate (some forms have a death rate of over 50% according to wikipedi)a. This means that the disease was active in his body and therefore contagious. The particular form that he was later said to have only makes the situation go from bad to worse.

His behavior is utterly without consideration for anyone other than himself, not only his initial decision to go to Europe against advice and most certainly his decision to take a wandering path home. He is an extremely selfish individual who cares little about the impact of his actions on others. If rather it had been the guy sitting next to him on the plane who was sick, he would probably have already filed a suit. The health authorities also seem to have to hound him, even when he is, according to him, scared for his life.

His wedding also seems to have been a bit of a sham - though again, he has "proof" that blah blah blah. He has plenty of proof that he is OK, which leads me to believe he was really trying to cover his ass - almost straight out of a Columbo movie. One would think a lawyer could do better.

If anyone on his flights or route gets TB and dies, especially on the latter legs, I hope they put him away for murder.