Imbedded personal info on iTunes tracks?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has this been out before? If it is true, I am dissapointed. I think I would rather have DRM than to have my personal info illicitly pasted onto my music files...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1873098.ece

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    OK Look, your account info was always there, even with DRM, they're just making a big deal of it now because 1) it's something to use against Apple for the next 6 months and 2) the DRM isn't there so it's more noticeable.

If you're worried about your personal info being embedded then I suggest not visiting File sharing sites and uploading them.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

OK Look, your account info was always there, even with DRM, they're just making a big deal of it now because 1) it's something to use against Apple for the next 6 months and 2) the DRM isn't there so it's more noticeable.

If you're worried about your personal info being embedded then I suggest not visiting File sharing sites and uploading them.

Sebastian

Actually, I don't do file sharing sites. That is not my concern. Maybe I have privacy nut tendencies or maybe I am paranoid, I just don't like my info being tagged to things. Things that are persistent.

For example, suppose my girlfriend and I buy music from iTunes. Then we break up and divide the assets. A year later her new boyfriend gets into file sharing using her music that is tagged with my email address and who knows what else. No I don't like that.

I don't suppose I have a problem with digital watermarking with some coding system if they need to and if they disclose it.

But my email? Blech!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Actually, I don't do file sharing sites. That is not my concern. Maybe I have privacy nut tendencies or maybe I am paranoid, I just don't like my info being tagged to things. Things that are persistent.

For example, suppose my girlfriend and I buy music from iTunes. Then we break up and divide the assets. A year later her new boyfriend gets into file sharing using her music that is tagged with my email address and who knows what else. No I don't like that.

I don't suppose I have a problem with digital watermarking with some coding system if they need to and if they disclose it.

But my email? Blech!

I suggest you sign your Girlfriend up for her own iTunes account then. But the info is still there with or without DRM. It's not a watermarking thing, it was just never removed, and it doesn't need to be.

You can convert to Apple Lossless if you want and strip the tags away.

Sebastian