MacBook won't start

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have seen a problem similar to mine on many threads, but none quite like mine.

I went to Cancun for a week with my MacBook that I bought nearly a year ago. I have had a few problems with it (intermittent shutdowns, etc.) that have been dealt with by Apple. No problems for a while.

I was keeping it in the safe in the room, where I stored it vertically. It was in there for about 2 days when I used it to download some pictures from my camera. No problems. I took it out again 2 days later to download some more pictures but it wouldn't start up at all. No clicking or whirring sounds, no gray screen, nothing at all. Dead to the world.

The battery shows 3/5 charge, but when I plug it in to the AC power, the little light stays green, i.e., does not turn orange like it should to charge the battery.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, the PMU, the SMC, etc., etc. I have yet to call Apple because I just got back, it is late, and I need to go to sleep, but I am very worried about my MacBook, as everything for my master's thesis is on it and I am a fool and don't back up things as I should.

Help? Anyone with similar experiences? The only thing I can think of is the humidity. The air conditioning was not really working in my hotel room, so is it possible that any condensation zapped something in my computer? If that's the case, am I out of luck as far as data recovery is concerned?

Thanks so much for your responses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinjit View Post

No clicking or whirring sounds, no gray screen, nothing at all. Dead to the world.

The battery shows 3/5 charge, but when I plug it in to the AC power, the little light stays green, i.e., does not turn orange like it should to charge the battery.

I had a powerbook do this recently but it was because the power supply had broken and the battery was at zero charge. The green light on the power supply stayed on and nothing happened at all while pressing the power button. Using another power supply made it boot fine. Since your battery shows some charge, it could be more serious.

Quote:

I've tried resetting the PRAM, the PMU, the SMC, etc., etc. I have yet to call Apple because I just got back, it is late, and I need to go to sleep, but I am very worried about my MacBook, as everything for my master's thesis is on it and I am a fool and don't back up things as I should.

Don't send your machine back to Apple with the hard drive in it. Either that or take it out, clone it using another machine and then send it back.

Quote:

is it possible that any condensation zapped something in my computer? If that's the case, am I out of luck as far as data recovery is concerned?

I guess it's possible but I wouldn't have thought there would be that much to cause any damage. Was there excessive heat build up in the safe?