New view on the G5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If the article in time is correct, the new iMac sports a G4 at 750MHz. Since the introduction of the G4, apple has always tried to keep a gap between consumer and pro machines, and I can't imagine them not keeping things this way.

So they just can't sell a PowerMac G4 @ 876MHz anymore. The options are :

- very high speed G4 powermacs. 1.2GHz and higher

- multi processor across the entire powermac line, high end a quad machine

- G5

place your bets !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Where in the article does it mention a G4-750?

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by little dude:

<strong>If the article in time is correct, the new iMac sports a G4 at 750MHz. Since the introduction of the G4, apple has always tried to keep a gap between consumer and pro machines, and I can't imagine them not keeping things this way.

So they just can't sell a PowerMac G4 @ 876MHz anymore. The options are :

- very high speed G4 powermacs. 1.2GHz and higher

- multi processor across the entire powermac line, high end a quad machine

- G5

place your bets !</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where did it say that speed??

I would say that is the minimum, but I would like to see 1:1 MPEG encoding (867 G4 @ 133 bus) for the iMac...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I don't rememebr exactly where I saw it. Was in a slashdot comment... Maybe I should have been more carefull.

but anyway, they can't introduce a G4 at 400MHz or so... With the current MHZ wars, that would be stupid. Also, for many tasks, G3 and G4 perform comparable at equal MHZ. So If they'd put in a 400MHz, the new LCD iMac would actually be SLOWER that the current 700MHz high end CRT iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    sorry no where in heck does it say 750 mhz and if u bother to use logic than no way in heck would it be a 400mhz g4

it is quite obvious to me that the high end will at least be 733 g4 using possibly same proccesors in teh low end powermac and the highest i believe we'll see 800 and if we are luck than 867 but i' m happy wiht 800

now the question is if its the same one in the powermacs than does this have an L3 cace or not? i know the powermac ones do not so...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i think there will be 3 models, and they should be faster (in mhz terms) than the current imacs (500-700 mhz, i think).

to simplify things i would use the same cpu for all models, but this still leaves us with many options:

7440, could be available at speeds from 500-800 mhz by now, no l3 cache

7450, used in PMs so far at 733, 800 and 867, is too hot for this design (my opinion, if you want to avoid a fan)

7460, apollo, shouldn't need a fan and should be faster than the other two

whatever option you chose, the imac will be faster than the tibook. this makes me think the tibook will need an update very soon, probably apollo @ 800-1000 mhz

whatever option you chose, the powermacs will be too slow. they'll definately need to have at least 200 mhz more than the imac. that leaves us with apollo at about 1200 mhz, maybe a bit more or less.

but i think this would not be so spectacular. apple said this macworld would be the greatest ever. the new imac is really great (my opinion), but not more spectacular than the original imac was in 1998. it this shall be the biggest macworld ever, there must be more. i still hope for a g5, even if the reporter guy said the imac would now feature the same cpu as the PMs. i don't think jobs said this, this is just the reporters interpretation.