QT 6 Pro Features and .mpg files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just noticed that QT 6 Pro won't let me cut, copy or paste .mpg data, but it will let me cut, copy and paste .mov data. Whay is this?

I just bought the Pro version of QT so I could combine mutiple .mpg files togather into 1 .mp file, but it wont let me.

Why is this?

What can I use to combine multiple .mpg files?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This might not be what you want, but you can export the mpegs as .mov files, and combine those. I think the reason they won't let you cut & paste from mpegs (I could be completely wrong on this) is that the mpegs are "stitched" so that each frame is dependent on the one before and after it, so there's no arbitrary points that you can snip out the frames cleanly.

confirmation of the limitation (no explanation given):

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61608"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61608</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 3
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I just noticed that QT 6 Pro won't let me cut, copy or paste .mpg data, but it will let me cut, copy and paste .mov data. Whay is this?

I just bought the Pro version of QT so I could combine mutiple .mpg files togather into 1 .mp file, but it wont let me.

Why is this?

What can I use to combine multiple .mpg files?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think any program will allow you to do this with MPGs. The explanation I was given a while back is that MPEG is a delivery format and isn't intended to be messed around with.

There are a few tools around for exporting mpegs as some other file type, but you're going to lose some quality. Try versiontracker for the completely unintuitive but very powerful ffmepg.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    "Stitched" is correct. Every 15 frames there is a 'keyframe' that's whole. The frames in between are essentially blurred and not true frames. I think an intelligent program could essentially build each frame and allow you to merge multiple files. The only problems is that when all is said and done you'll have to re compress everything.