JPEG Optimization,compression

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know of any JPEG compression software that is signifcantly more efficient than what is available in Photoshop and GraphicConverter.Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What'cha mean by efficient? I thought jpeg compression algorithms were set by the jpeg standard, not the software?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I'm not sure one way or the other, but I have seen some JPEGs that seemed to be extremely well compressed, I didn't know if there was something spectacular on the market or not.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    If your trying to get really high compression rates in jpeg, a handy tip is to reduce the size of the original picture, jpeg that, and then display at the origiral size.

Not applicable in all situations of course.

edit: for certain uses Jpeg 2000 could be applicable. It's got frightening compression rates.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I wonder whether some images naturally lend themselves to high jpeg compression with little visible loss of quality just because of the nature of the image, it's colour distribution etc.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Pictures with gradients are more suitable.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's just like other formats. Just like LAME encoded mp3s sound better than Fraunhofer ones, JPEGs can be encoded with algorithms that are optimized in different ways, which effects perceived quality.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    DeBabelizer
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Thanks for all the info. One question I have, are all or any browsers able to read the JPEG 2000 standard?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>Thanks for all the info. One question I have, are all or any browsers able to read the JPEG 2000 standard?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't use it if your audience is the wider web. If you have a smaller, known target audience then things like this are more acceptable.

It should work in most OS X browsers as they will hand it off to Quicktime, and I would imagine you can get a plug-in for Windows.

In fact here's a link. I haven't tested it so beware. <a href="http://www.elysium.ltd.uk/jpeg_2000.html"; target="_blank">http://www.elysium.ltd.uk/jpeg_2000.html</a>;
  • Reply 10 of 10
    OK Thanks, that's all I need to know