MacBook Pro Refurb Prices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So they upgraded Mac Book Pros today, any ideas as to when this will reflect in the refurb prices?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Okay, I've been saving money and watching the MBP refurbs, but at the exact time that these two factors aligned apple went and upgraded. So now I've reached a dilemma.

Do I buy an older generation refurb 15" 2.33GHz Macbook Pro for $1999?

Or do I wait for the refurb prices to drop?

Since no one answered my first question I'm assuming that no one can predict when and if the refurb prices will drop, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I doubt the prices will fall until a new model is into'd or there is a product refresh. I think I'd probably get the new 2.2 ghz MBP with the new LED screen. The performance is going to be pretty much the same, probably within 10% maybe 5%. Why not get the new machine with the nice LED screen?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    it sounds like that's my best option. I'm be using it for video editing, so the new screen and video card is attractive. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probability View Post

it sounds like that's my best option. I'm be using it for video editing, so the new screen and video card is attractive. Thanks.

If the old model were cheaper then I could see it. However several members here have gotten the new MBP and are impressed with the new LED backlighting. As you mention , the new video card is a nice bonus as well.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

If the old model were cheaper then I could see it. However several members here have gotten the new MBP and are impressed with the new LED backlighting. As you mention , the new video card is a nice bonus as well.

I'd definitely get the new one, and I'd be using it for audio mostly, so for video, go for it:

-Refurbished are not that good deals, especially when an update just happened

-The screen will look better and last you longer (though I'd check on their video performance, just in case they're much slower, for example, which is unlikely, but just in case)

-The 2.2 proc is clocked like 5% slower than the 2.33, but has a 20% faster bus and maybe some other minor optimizations

-The 8600m looks good for video, is probably faster, and will likely be better and longer used by Apple in its apps and services than the quite old x1600

-The new MBP probably has other little improvements
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

-The 8600m looks good for video, is probably faster, and will likely be better and longer used by Apple in its apps and services than the quite old x1600

I saw a benchmark that showed the 8600 card to have score double that of the x1600. Looks like a big upgraded in that area.