iMac cascade theory on Powerbook (or,"How fast will the TiBook be?")

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Everyone has commented a dozen times over on what the iMac portends for the Powermac.

It seems to me though, that keeping the Powermac out ahead of the iMac is pretty easy; G4 duals, Apollos, G5's whatever.

I would imagine that Apple would like to keep their pro portable out in front of the iMac as well.

Since (AFAIK) there is little difference between the 7451 (Powermac G4) and the 7441 (Powerbook G4) except for the L3 cache, is there any reason that the 7441 can't be cranked up to at least 867?

Another way to frame the question is: will Apple put a G4 of higher speed in the iMac than in the Powerbook?

SdC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    [Another way to frame the question is: will Apple put a G4 of higher speed in the iMac than in the Powerbook?]

My guess is most people buy a laptop computer for portability. For various reasons Laptops have traditionally lagged behind desktops in spec.

Cool as it looks, the new iMac doesn't look all that portable to me (medieval knights with morningstars notwithstanding)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    The powerbook always was as fast or just a little faster than the imac if i remember correctly so a small speed increase is in line

i think we'll see the fastest imac at 800mhz g4 so that gives u a rough idea of the powerbook

so u can't leave the ibook at 600 mhz so probably 700mhz that was in the imacs goes inot the ibook
  • Reply 3 of 4
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>Since (AFAIK) there is little difference between the 7451 (Powermac G4) and the 7441 (Powerbook G4) except for the L3 cache, is there any reason that the 7441 can't be cranked up to at least 867?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 7441 uses a lower core voltage (1.5V instead of 1.6V on the 7451). Not sure how much that difference actually limits the clock speeds, though.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Huh. I guess Tokyo will be the ProShow, then.

SdC