Slow to see iMovie 3: more slow turnarounds to come?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Before this past week, I kept wondering why it was taking Apple so long to bring out a revision to iMovie 2. As it turns out, they did a huge overhaul to the application, and by all appearances rewrote it in Cocoa. I've always been skeptical of the rumors that Apple was going to, for example, rewrite the Finder in Cocoa since it shouldn't make a big difference in the end. However, given that they took the time and care to do this for iMovie, what is the possibility that Apple will do Cocoa rewites for other applications?

If this is something they are actively pusuing, are we going to have a software stall like the case of iMovie? It took them the better part of 2 years to bring iMovie 3 to market. Would it make sense for them to do this just so they can (theoretically) update the Cocoa apps more frequently once they're over the fnece, so to speak?

Kinda makes me wonder how long until we see Panther.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>... and by all appearances rewrote it in Cocoa. ... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Can someone confirm that?

Not being an iMovie user it didn't bother me that it wasn't update. As a future iMovie user I look forward to a good piece of software.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, it's been over 2 years since the last major appleworks update, so I hope that they're completely rewriting it. What a piece of junk. I tried to use it today, hoping it would tide me over, but just making a table was a hassle.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife used to print photos by pasting into a draw doc. They always came out rather good ... until AW6. The ****ing resolution gets shot to hell and they all come out looking like ****. What a huge step backwards.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>Can someone confirm that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think Jobs said they had "completely re-written" iMovie (in version 3). People assumed (and probably correctly) that it was then done in Cocoa. Cocoa is probably a better programming API/platform than Carbon. I can at least say from my past experience developing under NEXTSTEP (the predecessor to OS X and Cocoa) that it was a killer development platform.