Printer sharing with Windows--help

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a Canon iP4000 printer connected via a USB cable to my new iMac running OS X v 10.4.9. This iMac is connected to my LAN via a router, which has a Windows NT box and a Windows XP Pro machine also connected.

Of course I'm able to print from the iMac to the printer. However, I cannot print from either Windows machines. Bonjour does not run under Windows NT. And the printer on the iMac is share-enabled.

I've tried numerous configurations using the native Canon drivers and the Gimp postscript drivers. From the Windows machines I can add the Canon printer (which is connected to the iMac). I.e., the Windows machines seem to have no trouble "seeing" the printer connected to the iMac.

When I try printing from the Windows machines, I get error messages like "enable bi-directional support...". I cannot seem to get the printer to print from the Windows machines.

Some posts I've seen say that it's impossible to share this Canon iP4000 printer in a mixed environment, and some say they have no problem, but provide no real details.

Any experts out there that can give me a little help?

TIA