iPhone + Plan

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The iPhone looks so great! But I have a coupple of questions.

1. I currently have Att/Cingular, Will I have to change up my plan at all, like add 2 more years in order to get the iPhone or will I be able to simply go and buy the iPhone on my current plan.

2. Also What are the data plan's looking like? I have heard anywhere from $30 to $70. Would this also include text msg's with the data plan?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jbf13jbf13 Posts: 39member
    Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbf13 View Post

Anyone?

You need to call 1-800-AT&T. I'll bet you won't get an answer that will answer your question.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Somehow you managed to ask 5 questions and make it look like only 2. Good work.

so

1. Yes, No, No

2. Nobody knows, typically No.

Good Luck

Quote:

1. I currently have Att/Cingular, Will I have to change up my plan at all, like add 2 more years in order to get the iPhone or will I be able to simply go and buy the iPhone on my current plan.

2. Also What are the data plan's looking like? I have heard anywhere from $30 to $70. Would this also include text msg's with the data plan?

• Reply 4 of 8
    Just called AT&T.

They said that according to the information they have now 6/9 (she even asked her manager) they will not be requiring that I sign new 2 year contract for the iPhone. I already am an At&t/cingular customer and I am about 12 months into a 2 year btw.

Data plan $19 for unlimited data (she even said you'll want that o be able to DL music)

and 200 text

ENjoy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddAvery View Post

Somehow you managed to ask 5 questions and make it look like only 2. Good work.

so

1. Yes, No, No

2. Nobody knows, typically No.

Good Luck

• Reply 5 of 8
    scout7idscout7id Posts: 57member
    I just talked to my local Cingular/AT&T and I was told that the unlimited data plan was going to be $40 a month in addition to your talk time plan. So I'm looking at dropping T-Mobile/Blackberry ($88/month) and going to AT&T/iPhone ($120/month). If I do, I'm going barebones on my landline and dsl...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The problem is that AT&T have a number of unlimited data plans, designed for different types of phones (yes, they're idiots, so?).

They are (using the 90012 zip code which is my default when stuff asks for it, somewhere in New York I think):

Blackberry Connect Unlimited $50

Blackberry Unlimited $50

Blackberry Enterprise Max $60

Blackberry Personal $35

(no idea about the differences above, but I assume something to do with Blackberry features)

Blackberry Tethered $75 (if you want to use your phone as a modem)

PDA Connect Unlimited + Xpress Mail $45 (PDA, duh

Data Connect Unlimited $80 (I guess laptop 3G cards)

Data Connect Unlimited + WiFi $100 (I guess laptop 3G cards)

Smartphone Connect Unlimited + Xpress Mail $20

The iPhone should fit in the Smartphone category, but could fit in the PDA family—either way as it doesn't use 3G I really don't see why they should charge 40 bucks for unlimited data as you aren't going to download that much via EDGE anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    90012 is probably out west. Here in NY our zips all start with "1".

But anyway, you're right about the differences in data plans. Of course I am hoping that they fall into the smartphone classification because it's the cheapest. Somehow, though, I have a hunch that they will have a separate plan just for the iPhone. I don't think it's called for, but somehow I think they will (corporate greed being what it is these days).

I stopped at a local AT&T and asked if they even knew when plan pricing was going to be announced and the guy really didn't seem to know anything. The only thing he seemed to know was that they are scheduled to be trained on the iPhone on the 23rd.

At 39.99 for the lowest voice plan and 40.00 for data, I think that's going to turn a lot of people off to the phone.

Although I'm sure I would use EDGE occasionally, I think I would tend to use the WiFi capability more.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

1. no. thats been confirmed alot

2. I have a blackjack and the pda connect unlimited.....thats like 50 bucks and includes 1500 texts...so it cant be any more than that

so look to pay like 100 a month ish if you have the 450 minute plan