Macbook Pro HD question....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There are three options for Hard Drive configurations on the apple website for the 15" MBP that I am looking at

160gig with 5200rpm drive

200gig with 4200rpm drive

and

160gig with 7200rpm drive.

I was looking at the 200 gig one because thru experience, I have learned hard drives fill up ALOT faster than you think. So my motto is the more the better.

But I was wondering what you all thought about the different speeds of the hard drives. I do web design, some video stuff with imovie and flash animations besides my usual email stuff.

Is there any reason to go with the 7200rpm drive? Personally if it was between the 160/5200 and the 200/4200...I'd go with the 200 because 40 extra gigs of space is basically my itune music collection!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

There are three options for Hard Drive configurations on the apple website for the 15" MBP that I am looking at

160gig with 5200rpm drive

200gig with 4200rpm drive

and

160gig with 7200rpm drive.

I was looking at the 200 gig one because thru experience, I have learned hard drives fill up ALOT faster than you think. So my motto is the more the better.

But I was wondering what you all thought about the different speeds of the hard drives. I do web design, some video stuff with imovie and flash animations besides my usual email stuff.

Is there any reason to go with the 7200rpm drive? Personally if it was between the 160/5200 and the 200/4200...I'd go with the 200 because 40 extra gigs of space is basically my itune music collection!

Thanks

The 7200 will always be faster, really. But me? I'll never need access to ALL the stuff I have on my HD, so i got an external. I put things on the external that i'll only need at home. I also have a portable one, so if the rare occasion comes where i'll need some of this crap, i can just bring the wallet-sized drive with me.

If i were you I would get the 5400 160gb, and an external. The small external (I use a maxtor 1-touch) is ridiculiously versatile.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I think the general concensus is a 4200rpm drive is noticably slower over a 5400 drive. a 7200 drive is nice but then at quite a cost. given the choices - personally - I'd only be considering 160 drives as the other is too slow. extra capacity is nice I agree but at what cost?

perhaps get an external and use that as a file store.

p.s. 40gb of music?! tahts loads!!!

edit: looks like I posted same time as bilgem...and said basically the same thing!