iNuron launches McNucle server soft. in public beta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
iNuron released a pretty neat peace of software last friday: www.inuron.com

This application allows you to access/share folders on your Mac over the internet. To do this you install the server on your own Mac and run the browser on a remote machine (Mac&Windows). The browser comes with a spotlight-like searchbar plus thumbnailsupport, metadata editors, desktops, upload/download, saved queries ..

The product is available as a (free) beta right now, everybody is welcome to give it a go and react on our forum..

enjoy!

Rodney

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Is it just me, or am I the only one paranoid about opening up my machine like this?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Is it just me, or am I the only one paranoid about opening up my machine like this?

I'm sure it's a secure connection. I used the built in FTP in OS X for a while and I didn't have any problems at all. Most likely if you don't advertise it to everyone and give everyone the link, no one is going to find it. If they do happen to find it, they then have to figure out a way to break through the home directory and then screw around with you computer. It's unlikely IMO, I never had any problems. I do like how this app have a host and client piece of software. Maybe you can't see the FTP from any software?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rodneyrodney Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Dear SpinDrift,

I guess this is a natural reflex (which others surely may have too), but allow me to put things in perspective and split your reaction in two parts for that:

1. Do we need to be paranoid about opening a port (12000 in this case) on our machine?

- Maybe it would be good to have a look at what you (and most of us) have opened already for applications like instant messaging, games, ftp sharing apps, p2p apps, web 2.0 applets, etcetera.. Is this port going to make that much of a difference?

- Do you have any idea how vulnerable you are today because of only the OS you currently are running? How paranoid are you about that?

- I agree that turning your machine into a server has an associated risk, but that is the price for any service or functionality you would like to enable on a machine. That is where you need to seek the balance between functionality and exposed risk. Do you consider yourself a target for an attack or not, what is the risk for it to be succesful, what could the damage be and can you recover from it? We know about security (ex-Cybertrust), we know about storage (ex-EMC), and we believe we have done what it takes for a good and safe homeserver application.

2. This application = iNuron's McNucle?

- We use proven technology such as SSL tunneling and personal certificates to protect your data from theft or misuse. It is a controlled way of accessing your data.

- We use simple access rights policies to minimize the risk of human error.

- People receive invitations via mail they can lock with their profile (a personal certificate). After this no other person can ever use such invitation without being in posession of this particular profile.

I hope this puts things a bit in perspective and allows people to see that our application is safe enough to run from the home network and it is not adding to your current risk profile (i.e. what you are exposed to today)..

Kind regards,

Rodney.