Apple iPhone ads shed disclaimer, show Flash support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josh59x View Post

The New York Times image that keeps on getting used in the iPhone ads is from October 2006. Probably a static image, not real running inside the Safari browser

That might explain why everything seems so darn fast in all the commercials. Even off of Wifi, I can't see the iPhone being that quick. They must have everything cached for the commercials, because on my Cingular 8125 off of Wifi, pages take much longer than that to load. Same on my Moto Q over EVDO.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nufase View Post

wouldn't it be "Apple iPhone *adds* shed disclaimer" if that were the case?

I know you were probably just trying to be funny however, mis-reading titles isn't funny, it just makes you look foolish.

Yes, it was just an attempt at some light humor, Mr. Buzzkill.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    cwinnipegcwinnipeg Posts: 32member
    keep the seriousness in check... He was attempting to be funny, I think that most could see that.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    I think a big reason for removing the contractual agreement disclaimer is that having those types of disclaimers has traditionally implied that you're getting the phone for a discount. Since both Apple and ATT have made it clear that there won't be any type of subsidy for the iPhone, I don't think they can rightfully make you sign a contract just to purchase the iPhone at its MSRP. There has also been a lot of posturing lately on the whole contractual obligations deal, with Altel now allowing you to change your contract w/o having to sign up for another two years.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I know you were probably just trying to be funny however, mis-reading titles isn't funny, it just makes you look foolish.

• Reply 26 of 37
    I think they just wanted to avoid confusion with people thinking that you had to be a current AT&T customer to get the iPhone. It seems silly that anyone would think that, but for people who aren't in the know it's a common belief (our general manager where I work just asked me about it today and both he and his friend assumed you had to already be an AT&T customer to get the iPhone).
  • Reply 27 of 37
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:

The New York Times image that keeps on getting used in the iPhone ads is from October 2006. Probably a static image, not real running inside the Safari browser

Also the time on all 4 ads is the same... 9:42 am ... 4 comercials shot in under a min.. I want them filming my companys stuff..
  • Reply 28 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Of course, but he probably assumed that the editors misspelled the word anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Also the time on all 4 ads is the same... 9:42 am ... 4 comercials shot in under a min.. I want them filming my companys stuff..

Brilliant. Honestly.

(But you must have a bit of time on your hands to notice stuff like that?)
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

Actually.. no... It's live.

This is someone looking at an archive of the NY Times. You can tell this because user "blackholesun" is logged into the NYTimes website.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Wow, I wouldn't have noticed that.

You really think the iPhone can launch stuff that quickly?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

Ah, for cryin' out loud.... You can't be serious. On second thought, you're probably "serious" all the time. How sad.

By the way, shouldn't you avoid posting public messages??? You know, being a former Mafia informant in the federal witness protection program and all?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Won't Flash be required for Youtube? And what would the "real internet" be without youtube? Besides, with Google on board, I'm sure there'd be a push for it...
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

I think a big reason for removing the contractual agreement disclaimer is that having those types of disclaimers has traditionally implied that you're getting the phone for a discount. Since both Apple and ATT have made it clear that there won't be any type of subsidy for the iPhone, I don't think they can rightfully make you sign a contract just to purchase the iPhone at its MSRP. There has also been a lot of posturing lately on the whole contractual obligations deal, with Altel now allowing you to change your contract w/o having to sign up for another two years.

I think you just might be right. What this would mean of course is that a contract from ATT might be heavily suggested, in order to get 'Visual Voicemail' (Side note: Was this feature really worth all the hassle for Apple to take on a partnership?!?), but not necessarily mandatory. A smart move if true.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    julesltjuleslt Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

Won't Flash be required for Youtube? And what would the "real internet" be without youtube? Besides, with Google on board, I'm sure there'd be a push for it...

With the AppleTV deal, YouTube are re-encoding everything as H264 (I presume they will continue to also encode in Flash as that's the widest installed video plugin).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Flash is no big loss. I block it almost completely on every computer I own. If a site insists on it, then I don't need to use that site. Including Flash on the iPhone without an easy way to block it would be huge turn-off: waste of CPU, waste of bandwidth, popups, etc.

A suggestion. Go look at sites like picnik or gliffy - Flash based real applications. Check out what Adobe Flex can do, and how many companies are starting to use it. Sure AJAX can do a lot, but with Flex you can do it a lot easier / cross-browser - and thus far cheaper.

On the other hand, the user interface conventions of these web apps will generally not work with the iPhone.

And while you might block Flash, mySpace users seem to love cluttering their pages with Flash widgets that bring my G4 Mini to a crawl. I can see their being a big overlap between mySpace users and people who will get an iPhone when they're cheaper.

(Although if Apple had any sense they'd launch a kick-ass social network which tied into iTunes, iPhone, and iWeb - unlike .Mac it should be free, and unlike mySpace it should have no third-party ads, and should actually be well-designed - like not taking you through 3 pages to do a simple task, simply so they can serve you 3 adverts. Make sure it works well on the web. Make sure it works even better with iLife)
  • Reply 36 of 37
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Ok so saw 3 ads last night on 20/20 and MSNBC all had the 2 year agreement back on them.. so is this abc not showing the right tape or what..
  • Reply 37 of 37
    boss1boss1 Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Ok so saw 3 ads last night on 20/20 and MSNBC all had the 2 year agreement back on them.. so is this abc not showing the right tape or what..

If a commercial recording was submitted to that network station then they are showing the right tape. Just not the 'new one'...yet.

I noticed the same thing when I first saw the ads. The 2 year contract is an obligation to the consumer. It's really not a brilliant idea to shove obligations in the consumers face if you don't have to. It was a wise move to remove that from the commercial although it shouldn't have been up there in the first place!

If you don't get what I'm saying ...hmm.. this is probably not the best metaphor but it would be it would be like putting "You must withdraw money from your bank and pay us to use the phone", on the commercial. It's an obligation to the consumer, not really worth throwing up in the ad if you don't have to.

Also, things get complicated when you start to brand marketing messages into consumers heads such as "2 year contract" and then go ahead and change it up on them too quickly. You confuse them, your marketing gets confused, your new promotion efforts, such as "the 6 month plan" option, are now hindered by all that previous marketing, it just becomes a big ugly marketing mess.

anyway, i like the overall quality of the ads.

By the way, AT&T doesn't allow streaming internet or direct download on the iPhone (as stated in that users manual that was posted online). How does affect the possibility of youTube or other flash media on the iPhone? or does that type of flash not even fall into the category of streaming or direct download as it is browser based and cached?