US Injustice System?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This thread really stems from the fairy-tale story of how a rich girl goes to jail yet is allowed to serve the remainder of her sentence at home because she didn't like the food. Her home is more adorned than most malls, so confinement therein is nothing. The average American could not refuse to eat and then be allowed to go home; for many, a jail possibly has far better ameneties.

What is up with the US justice system and punishment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

This thread really stems from the fairy-tale story of how a rich girl goes to jail yet is allowed to serve the remainder of her sentence at home because she didn't like the food. Her home is more adorned than most malls, so confinement therein is nothing. The average American could not refuse to eat and then be allowed to go home; for many, a jail possibly has far better ameneties.

What is up with the US justice system and punishment?

It's a joke, I agree.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Im not paricularly fond of Paris, but I actually think that it serves absolutely no purpose to have the rich and famous serving time for a minor offences like she has, dispite the fact that you or me would do every day of the sentance and it would seem rather unfair, and make a mockery of a justice system.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Harvey Levin (a lawyer who started the legal/gossip site TMZ.com) says her lengthy punishment was way out of line for this kind of offense anyway. A 'normal' person would have gotten a 3 or 4 day jail term. The perception problem lay in the fact that the sentence was so harsh relative to the crime, but this went unchallenged. Oh, well... I'm no Paris fan either.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

Im not paricularly fond of Paris, but I actually think that it serves absolutely no purpose to have the rich and famous serving time for a minor offences like she has, dispite the fact that you or me would do every day of the sentance and it would seem rather unfair, and make a mockery of a justice system.

I don't know...the problem is that was the sentence. I agree in principle, but why is it different because she's rich and famous?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Harvey Levin (a lawyer who started the legal/gossip site TMZ.com) says her lengthy punishment was way out of line for this kind of offense anyway. A 'normal' person would have gotten a 3 or 4 day jail term. The perception problem lay in the fact that the sentence was so harsh relative to the crime, but this went unchallenged. Oh, well... I'm no Paris fan either.

Are there any Paris fans? I mean, other than "video" fans? Really though, I agree the sentence was probably harsh to begin with. The problem is she and her mother were apparently totally disrespectful in court from what I heard. That probably didn't make the judge happy!