vista on the Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi Guys, thinking of putting vista on my Mac for a few non-apple programs.

Not sure which way to go - parelles or bootcamp.

I have tried to do a search to the old topics re this but failed & wonder if v3 of parellels removes the old negatives?

My concerns are...

Risk of viruses with both

If I wanted to play any games - is parellels ok now?

Do I need a copy of vista for each.

Many thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Risk of viruses with both

Equal chance but Parallels would be easier to recover as you'd just have an image backup. However, the risks are pretty low these days - hardly any of the people I know who use Windows get viruses and I haven't gotten one in all my 6 months plus of Bootcamping. As usual though, it's fine until you get one so experience may vary. If you just use Vista for gaming, you can turn the internet off, unless it's online gaming.

Quote:

If I wanted to play any games - is parellels ok now?

This is the first hardware accelerated release and reports suggest quite good compatibility but far from perfect. i don't expect to see it being a Bootcamp replacement for a few months yet and if they have lower DirectX support as some have suggested, it may never be a good enough replacement.

Quote:

Do I need a copy of vista for each.

Both require a copy of the OS to work but you can use the same disc for both and you can use the same installation for both if you use Bootcamp. Parallels will boot your Windows partition.

I'd recommend going Bootcamp but experimenting with Parallels booting it and see what the game compatibility is. You should get a 30 day trial of Parallels.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Equal chance but Parallels would be easier to recover as you'd just have an image backup. However, the risks are pretty low these days - hardly any of the people I know who use Windows get viruses and I haven't gotten one in all my 6 months plus of Bootcamping. As usual though, it's fine until you get one so experience may vary. If you just use Vista for gaming, you can turn the internet off, unless it's online gaming.

This is the first hardware accelerated release and reports suggest quite good compatibility but far from perfect. i don't expect to see it being a Bootcamp replacement for a few months yet and if they have lower DirectX support as some have suggested, it may never be a good enough replacement.

Both require a copy of the OS to work but you can use the same disc for both and you can use the same installation for both if you use Bootcamp. Parallels will boot your Windows partition.

I'd recommend going Bootcamp but experimenting with Parallels booting it and see what the game compatibility is. You should get a 30 day trial of Parallels.

Hi Marvin,

Many thanks for that - really appreciated! Will wait for any announcements today before buying parallels
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nebulanebula Posts: 7member
    Viruses aren't so common as such, but what is really common is the accidental installation of spyware. The Windows shareware and freeware world is nothing like the Mac. Go to a download site, get 15 pop-ups, and if you so much as touch one you've installed something on your computer.

Novice users who quickly quick "Yes" and "OK" to every dialog they see without even reading them are the most susceptible to such attacks.

Don't download needless stuff like screen savers, MSN chat icons, and the like, and have a little common sense otherwise, and you shouldn't have to worry too much about malware.