Windows external HDD on mac? Help Please

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I tried searching, and I have no clue what to look for. I am just trying to find an answer.

I got the updated macbook pro a week ago when they released the update and I am loving it. I have an external 250 GB HD that was windows formatted and I tired plugging it into the mbp, and it shows up, but when I open it up and explore, none of the files showed up. Now i am pretty sure I cant see them since it was windows formatted, but if I start saving stuff onto the drive, would it be saved or do I have to reformat it? Any way I can get those windows files to show up on the mbp?

Thanks again for the help. I am trying to figure most things out on my own, but this is starting to upset me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jose Gonzalez View Post

I tried searching, and I have no clue what to look for. I am just trying to find an answer.

I got the updated macbook pro a week ago when they released the update and I am loving it. I have an external 250 GB HD that was windows formatted and I tired plugging it into the mbp, and it shows up, but when I open it up and explore, none of the files showed up. Now i am pretty sure I cant see them since it was windows formatted, but if I start saving stuff onto the drive, would it be saved or do I have to reformat it? Any way I can get those windows files to show up on the mbp?

Thanks again for the help. I am trying to figure most things out on my own, but this is starting to upset me.

Is it formatted NTFS or FAT32?

When the MBP doesn't see the files, does it show the disk as empty or does it show a lot of MB/GB used?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for the reply. It does show at the bottom how much space is left, but no file show up. As for the formatting, it says under the info part that it is Windows NT Filesystem, which im pretty sure is NTFS.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    What shows up? Do you get any of your Windows folder structure? Does the top most folder/file start with a period?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Umm basically no folders show up. I plug the HDD in, it shows up and when i open it to explore the files, it does not show any folders or files. All that shows up is the name of the HDD and the size or GB left.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    anyone got an answer?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jose Gonzalez View Post

anyone got an answer?

My first thought would be to take it back to a Windows system, have that Windows system share it via SMB, and then copy all the files off it over SMB to your Mac. That should at least get you all your files.