Safari 3 New features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What new features have you discovered in Safari 3?

So far I found the following:

- The Find feature (Command+F) looks alot like Spotlight and it has next/previous buttons. The found content is clearly visible.

- At the bottom-right corner of a multi-line text-box there are two diagonal lines, pull them and the box will re-size. Very nice.

- Bookmarks has a Spotlight search thing too.

And you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    aA button and command + and - now work to zoom inline PDFs. And, of course, tabs are draggable/reorderable.

Also, in the file menu, new "Mail contents of this page" and "Mail link" commands.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    thx 1138thx 1138 Posts: 16member
    You can use the ⌘ key and the 'forward' or 'backward' buttons to create an instant tab of the resulting page.

(Not sure if that was in 2.0 or not)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

You can use the ⌘ key and the 'forward' or 'backward' buttons to create an instant tab of the resulting page.

(Not sure if that was in 2.0 or not)

It was. Command-click ANY link and it will tab that link.

SnapBack, the little orange arrow visible in the right of the address bar, will return you to the last page you manually navigated to. By manual navigation, I mean that you did not click a link to get there. For instance, a bookmark or a typed address like www.appleinsider.com is manual, and will not trigger SnapBack. But if you click the correct links and find your way to this topic, clicking SnapBack will take you back to that original bookmark or page. Great for forum viewing or deep histories in which you find yourself hitting "Back" several times.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    SnapBack was already there too.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What the F is up with the font in Safari 3 ON MAC? It's all blurry, it's not like the font in Safari 2, it looks much blurrier
  • Reply 6 of 17
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I'm finding the 'Merge all windows' menu command quite useful too, since I like my tabs.

Re-open from last session could be handy if you crashed too. Definitely loving the new find - much easier to actually see the word you were looking for.

The new WebKit does seem to screw up bold text though. Checked the '(news: Block ads with a free Member account!)' line at the very to of MacUpdate for example - it's a bit difficult to read. You can see the same thing in bold text in Mail now too, rather annoying.

Form buttons often look a bit different too now - although I'm not sold on this since there is no uniformity anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I like the fact that you can highlight a link (that's not clickable) and you now have the choice to open it up in a new Window or Tab as well. Finally
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Anybody get Safari 3 to run on a Sawtooth or similar PPC mac? I installed it and when I launched it, it wouldn't even connect to a single site.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does it finally have a real history and download window? Jesus it's been years. Those two things are basic...err Netscape from over a decade ago probably had better History and Download windows.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    have to go back to s2

window s3 does not work in that regard either.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

have to go back to s2

window s3 does not work in that regard either.

How do you go back to Safari 2?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Anybody get Safari 3 to run on a Sawtooth or similar PPC mac? I installed it and when I launched it, it wouldn't even connect to a single site.

Works good on my upgraded Sawtooth...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Anderson View Post

How do you go back to Safari 2?

uninstall s3. the uninstaller comes w/ s3 packages. very glad that apple provided that. after installed s3, noticed there was uninstaller. later when i wanted to fallback to s2, searched apple site, no way to find out where s2 was. luckily s3 package window is still around and found my precious: s3 uninstaller...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I found out that S3 destroys your widgets which most Mac users use I'm sure. I also found out that MSN Messenger crashes every time you close a MSN window while S3 is installed on your machine. This is a known bug. Read about it here. 99.99% of the world uses PC's so yes I still have to use MSN Messenger to chat. But hey that's what a Beta is about right? That's a copout. A bug as serious is that shouldn't be in a Beta imho. How do you release a browser at the same time for a Windows machine none the less, when it doesn't work with the most popular Windows chat program in the world? Lame.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wait a second...So I'm on a slow connection for the first time in a long time... Is it just me or can Safari not turn off the loading of images? Jeez. I wonder if they added that in 3, along with a TON other features/prefs that are even in freakin' IE 5? The Prefs panel is seriously deficient.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Does it finally have a real history and download window? Jesus it's been years. Those two things are basic...err Netscape from over a decade ago probably had better History and Download windows.

What's missing from their current implementations. I think they do the job quite well.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

I'm finding the 'Merge all windows' menu command quite useful too, since I like my tabs.

oooooooooooo Didn't catch that one!! Neat!!

I like the new Find word feature too. I can actually find the word on the screen I am looking for instead of a lame highlight.