Really Starting to Hate Apple's Secrecy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I realize that it's good for business. I realize that not telling people when updates

are coming forces them to buy what you already have. I love that products are

usually available the day they are announced or soon afterward. And I know that

not announcing the products beforehand makes launches totally "sha-blammo"

with the wow factor and all.

But the secret nature of Apple's business model is really starting to get to me.

I'm starting to hate it. This is becoming ever so apparent with the launch of the

iPhone. As of yet we have no information regarding the contract plan that will be

required with AT&T. We thought we knew it required a 2 year contract but even

that has now been placed in doubt after the editing of the ads. I need a new phone,

and I was going to wait for the 3G iPhone or 16gb iPhone, but I was going to consider

getting the phone in June if I knew the contract details, whether it required 2 years,

whether the data and voice rates were resonable. But the secrecy is totally not cool.

That fact is I think the secrecy works in most cases, but I think something like iPhone,

which is brand new and depends on services that AT&T provides, needs to be clearly

spelled out. I feel sorry for anyone who waits in line for an iPhone for three days and

then finds out that it will cost them an arm and a leg for 2 years to own this thing.

That's not to mention the "Top Secret" features of Leopard that turned out to be 3 new

lackluster features. (nothing new was said about the 7 that we already knew about from last year.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    You best start following microsoft then. They either dont want to keep secrets or they cant, i susppect the second one to be true.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The only way to have Apple stop is to not allow the secrecy to have you trolling the net looking for spy photos, secret docs and such.

But you do have to admit. Never has a cellphone gotten so much freaking attention. The cover of the wallstreet journal on a cellphone, that's not an Ad?

Every billy bob knowing about the iPhone? The fever is the best free marketing ever. Nobody has enjoyed such success. So don't expect it to go anytime soon.

Besides if you don't like the iPhones plans then don't get one. I fail to see how knowing in advace will help you?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Go Banana, your thread should go in the general discussion forum.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Surely the details of your contract with AT&T are up to AT&T, not Apple. OK, Apple will be involved somewhere as AT&T will have a contract with them, but to blame Apple for the whole secrecy thing is a bit off when it could equally be own to AT&T.

Also, why do you have to have an iPhone immediately on launch day? I'm sure you could wait a few days more to see what the contract details are .
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Agreed, and I'm not really all that excited about it. I'm not standing in line for days to get one. hell I might not even consider it until the price drops. I'm wholely unaffected by the RDF, I just feel bad for other people who are going to stand in line waiting not even knowing what it is they're buying until they talk to an AT&T rep who'll probably tell them, "Apple has asked us to keep the terms of the contract secret to you so we'll just bill you every month with an undisclosed amount."
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitaldave View Post

Surely the details of your contract with AT&T are up to AT&T, not Apple. OK, Apple will be involved somewhere as AT&T will have a contract with them, but to blame Apple for the whole secrecy thing is a bit off when it could equally be own to AT&T.

I don't think so. It has been publicized for some time that one of the reasons Apple partnered wit Cingular/ATT is that they would allow Apple to have control.

I think Apple has a great deal of input in the pricing of plans for the iPhone, and I believe that they are controlling when that information will be announced.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Agreed, and I'm not really all that excited about it. I'm not standing in line for days to get one. hell I might not even consider it until the price drops. I'm wholely unaffected by the RDF, I just feel bad for other people who are going to stand in line waiting not even knowing what it is they're buying until they talk to an AT&T rep who'll probably tell them, "Apple has asked us to keep the terms of the contract secret to you so we'll just bill you every month with an undisclosed amount."

It's sad because that actually could happen and I almost wouldn't doubt it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Businesses too hate the secrecy.

No CIO/CTO/WhateverO will ever consider Apple's solutions without a road map of future product.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It's a good thing that isn't Apple's target market.

Sebastian

What's the big deal really? When it's out you buy it if you like it.

Good night folks, drive home safely.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It's a good thing that isn't Apple's target market.

Sebastian

Considering they have no market share in that segment means huge growth potential. Sure sucks that market is not part of their target audience or they may actually grow more.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    What I find amusing/infuriating, despite the fact that we know Intels roadmap and that we know that new processors/chipsets are available, is that Apple still continue to release new product whenever they feel like it rather than keep up with the Jones'.

iMac.

ahem.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.