Noticed Something on the Demos of Leopard....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just noticed there are no longer any desktop icons at all on the demos of leopard.

I wonder if you will be allowed to put them back....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I just noticed there are no longer any desktop icons at all on the demos of leopard.

I wonder if you will be allowed to put them back....

I would assume so. All versions of Mac OS X (or at least Tiger and Panther for sure) have had the ability to hide icons for removable media, hard drives and network drives from appearing on the desktop. And, of course, if you don't want anything else on the desktop, don't put it there, right?

As far as a clean desktop goes, Apple/Steve Jobs really pushed this in his WWDC keynote when he talked about how the new-to-Apple feature called "Stacks" keeps the clutter from the desktop but having those stack folders in the dock. They probably just want to kept a consistent desktop/backdrop for whatever feature is being touted with each demo video.

Great videos though, huh? I love the data detection features of Mail and iCal and the new pop-up interactions that make creating contacts/events/etc. so much easier and efficient.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think when I install leopard, that will be the day i stop using the desktop to store files. Downloads will automagically go into a stack and I'll just have a stack to keep files and folders i normally keep on the desktop.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,125member
    Agreed

new Leopard features give us the ability to organize our clutter a bit better. I can easily see stacks in a Grid formation becoming popular for me. I may create a "Productivity" stack and a "Entertainment" stack each with the often used applications that I want quick access to. Thus I may decide that the iCal icon should represent my "Productivity" stack and the World of Warcraft icon to represent my "Entertainment"

Another thing I'm going to do is maintain relatively flat folders. One thing that I saw was that Apple demoed the Finder with documents of all type sitting in one folder. I normally seperate my documents and create subfolders for PDFs and other datatypes. I may just toss everything that isn't music or a photo video into the documents folder and make sure I have a solid icon display. Quick look will then become more powerful IMO as it'll save me from having to open an application to review a file and the flat folder will save me the navigation of folder hierarchy.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I would assume so. All versions of Mac OS X (or at least Tiger and Panther for sure) have had the ability to hide icons for removable media, hard drives and network drives from appearing on the desktop.

The OS has had this behaviour since pretty much developer preview 2.3 in MacWorld Expo 2000. When the first public beta for 10.0 came out the hard disk icon was hidden by default, mainly because in OSX there isn't any point in going to the root level, and the Dock was supposed to be for all your shortcuts/aliases. People complained bitterly, so by the time 10.0 hit the streets the default setting was for the hard disk to be on the desktop.