iPhone, the Next Macintosh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Remember in the movie "Pirates" when Steve divided the company into Mac vs. Apple II and said Mac is the future, and it turns out it basically was? That's what's going to happen with iPhone. The focus will shift to the iPhone and they will totally build it up into a miniture computer that does everything. Apple will no longer make Macs anymore and Apple will henceforth be known as "the Cupertino iPhone maker" on all future Appleinsider feature articles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No ...for a multitude of reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I agree with Murch with this one...not likely at all.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    iPhone runs MacOS X. It's just a matter of time (perhaps a long time) before one's iPhone carries all of one's computing environment and it simply connects to a monitor and keyboard as needed.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

iPhone runs MacOS X. It's just a matter of time (perhaps a long time) before one's iPhone carries all of one's computing environment and it simply connects to a monitor and keyboard as needed.

no one will want to be forced in to a high cost 2 year data plan for there desktop system.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

no one will want to be forced in to a high cost 2 year data plan for there desktop system.

True, no one will want to be forced. But as we're seeing with the RDF on highest setting with iPhone launch, there's little forcing to be done!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    OTOH, I do think the iPhone indicates Apple's thinking about the "post desk-top" computing experience. Or maybe that's "post lap-top".

That's always been the dream, right? Lightweight, ubiquitous devices that are always connected and always at hand, that do a lot of what we consider today to be "computing".

I don't think Apple is going to abandon the Mac, or nuthin', but I think we may see some blurring of the lines between "palm-top" and "sub-notebook".
  • Reply 7 of 16
    No. It ain't gonna happen. Try word processing with the iPhone's multitouch keyboard, and then tell me you want to keep doing that. All the keyboard on a portable's interface (such as this) is designed for is short things, little quick blurbs in an e-mail, or a quick txt message, not long tasks with it. There is such a huge difference between a portable (and a phone at that) and a computer.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Think about this!

iPhone, OLED rollup monitor with virtual keyboard
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

.... That's what's going to happen with iPhone. The focus will shift to the iPhone and they will totally build it up into a miniture computer that does everything. Apple will no longer make Macs anymore and Apple will henceforth be known as "the Cupertino iPhone maker" on all future Appleinsider feature articles.

This will never happen. I used a Sony UX390 device for a few weeks. As an everyday computer, it was awful--Screen too small, buttons too small, too awkward to use for most Apps, etc. The iPhone will be what it is, a great cell phone (hopefully) with internet connectivity and the best Ipod to date.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

No. It ain't gonna happen. Try word processing with the iPhone's multitouch keyboard, and then tell me you want to keep doing that. All the keyboard on a portable's interface (such as this) is designed for is short things, little quick blurbs in an e-mail, or a quick txt message, not long tasks with it. There is such a huge difference between a portable (and a phone at that) and a computer.

Fold-up keyboards for the Palm fit in a shirt pocket and are quite useable on the road.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

Think about this!

iPhone, OLED rollup monitor with virtual keyboard

I'll buy that, but what about Storage and Memory? What do you see in your crystal ball that would allow heavy computing with your "phone, OLED rollup monitor with virtual keyboard" system? If your system could do everything a Mac Pro could do, what would the price be?

The more I think about it, the more I like your idea. No need to buy two computers - laptop and desktop. But I still think storage would be a problem unless it was kept online. I don't like that idea. If your ISP or the storage site was down, you'd be SOL.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Fold-up keyboards for the Palm fit in a shirt pocket and are quite useable on the road.

how weighty are they though? Combined with the actual unit? And who wants to edit video or photos, or anything close to that on such a tiny screen? How do you share photos with your family with a tiny thing like that? How do you store all your video and photos? You've gotta add on for storage, among other things, have 5 add-ons to make it practical, and you might as well just get a laptop. It's not a viable thing to do. Heck, we already know how much of a niche market the subnotebook market is, what makes you think this is going to do any better?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Your theory might apply to iPod vs. iPhone, but iPhone cannot and isn't designed to replace Macs.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    There are two sides of computing nowadays, content management/creation and content viewing. Apple (finally) has a more complete range of products that cater to individuals with varying needs. The lineup is simple. If you are a content creating guru - MacPro, MBP. Light on the creating content? - iMac and MB. iPods and Apple TV and iPhone are there to receive and display content. Yin and Yang. As far as using the iPhone for content creation now - it's v1.0. The form factor to me is really unexplored in any meaningful way and has been bungled by other vendors with products having Windows Mobile slapped on them.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:

they have a patent on a system when a users data could be stored on a really small disk. Then when you plug in the device with this data, it would boot like it was you mac, i presume contancts and everything. It requires a computer to do so as the OS isnt running off the phone and i dont think this can store too much data just main prefrrances and things like that.