Help. My G5 imac shuts down every once in awhile.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone. :-)

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this, and if so, what is the cause most likely?

Recently, my G5 imac started to shut down on its own. My room is airconditioned...so i dont believe its caused by overheating.

Basically it will shut down many times in a row. Then it will stop and be fine. Then when i think its ok...it'll shut down again. I usually keep my computer on all day. I do have sleep mode on...but this is a full on shut down and doesnt have anything to do with sleep mode.

Then sometimes my computer will be fine for a long time. I will think everything is fine. But when I come back into my room later, it will be off again.

I've had this computer for almost 2 years and have never had a problem.

What gives? Do you think its hardware related or software?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Hey everyone. :-)

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this, and if so, what is the cause most likely?

Recently, my G5 imac started to shut down on its own. My room is airconditioned...so i dont believe its caused by overheating.

Basically it will shut down many times in a row. Then it will stop and be fine. Then when i think its ok...it'll shut down again. I usually keep my computer on all day. I do have sleep mode on...but this is a full on shut down and doesnt have anything to do with sleep mode.

Then sometimes my computer will be fine for a long time. I will think everything is fine. But when I come back into my room later, it will be off again.

I've had this computer for almost 2 years and have never had a problem.

What gives? Do you think its hardware related or software?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks.

I had the same problem my friend. I had to get my powersupply and mobo replaced when it was all said and done. The cool thing about it, was that I don't live anywhere near an apple store or reseller. They sent a technician to my house with the parts. Guy replaced the whole thing in my living room while we had a cup of coffee.

Cheers Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

I had the same problem my friend. I had to get my powersupply and mobo replaced when it was all said and done. The cool thing about it, was that I don't live anywhere near an apple store or reseller. They sent a technician to my house with the parts. Guy replaced the whole thing in my living room while we had a cup of coffee.

Cheers Apple!

Cool. Thanks.

But what exactly is a mobo? And the "power supply" is the cord that plugs into the back of the imac?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    mobo = motherboard
  • Reply 4 of 4
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    I don't know which iMacG5 you have, but if your warrenty has run out, Apple will likely cover the repair cost if it falls under one of these two programs:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/po...pairextension/

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/