Quick Time clips won't play on external drive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I can't move the original QT files to an external drive from my imac.the files wont play at all if the originals arent on the imac hard drive. I deleted all of the ones after copying them to the external drive thinking they were fine and now they are worthless.(They won't play at all unless the originals are on the imac hard drive.This makes the whole thing of FREEING UP SPACE with an external drive pointlless unless i can move them to the external drive. Now I have to re extract the clips again from my mini dvd, this is a big headache because they were edited.Plus again all of that memory will go back onto my computer.The files play fine if they arent in the folder on the external hard drive. If copied directly to the drive from the cinemetize program they wont play at all. If copied from the imac after being extracted to that first they play, but only if the originals are on the imac first.

HELP!!

Can someone please help me that might know what to do in this situation?

Thanks!!

____

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Sounds like you made aliases instead of copying.

Oh wait - you edited them... I bet the 'edit' files are pointing back to the original media files for their content.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for the reply.

Nope I didn't make aliases, and they weren't really edited, just extracted from cinematize, when i said edited that is the wrong word, also when i tried to play other clips as well that i didn't make myself the same issue occured.

Thanks alot.

cammie
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Are you saving them as a self-contained movie or are you saving them as a reference?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Are you saving them as a self-contained movie or are you saving them as a reference?

I am saving them as self contained.

And they are all saved that way.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    What program are you trying to play the movies with? I've never had a problem playing movies on an external drive with Quick Time. Playing certain movie formats on an external drive with Front Row requires you to make aliases and put them in the Movies folder. iTunes seems to be the most finnicky of the three - I have Divx movies that play in many media programs but not iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cheznoelcheznoel Posts: 8member
    Hi hanks for the reply

I am using quick time and also tried a VLC media player, the same thing happens with both, it plays for a second then freezes and the cursor below moves, but it has stopped playing even tho the whole movie is there.