Somebody help me make up my indecisive Appling mind...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Insane ramblings of a manic depressive with an Apple LOVE/HATE thing who can't make up his bloody mind....

January

Early last year I bought my first Mac - a G4 Mac mini with Combo drive. So many of my colleagues at work had Macs and as their part-time IT support / web design guy I thought it time I got to know OS X.

Impressed, I took it back to the shop after a few days and paid the extra for the Superdrive version, as I do a bit of video editing and I liked iMovie so much, plus I could connect it to my housemates wifi network.

Then a week later Sir Jobs announced the Intel iMacs. Realising I was hooked I took the Superdrive Mac mini back, and paid out for a 20" iMac (Core Duo). Loved it, hugged it, squeezed it. iLife was great. OS X wonderful. Garageband fantastic. iWeb absolutely awful. The buzzing sound in headphones or external speakers caused by the Mighty Mouse very annoying.

But it was lovely, and a few weeks later I sold my fairly new AMD DualCore PC (to recoup some of the cost of the iMac)

But I eventually started to realise I wasn't being very productive when at home, and was missing some Windows design apps and er... games. Yes, games, lots of games I had, and I couldn't play a single one. Nanosaur 2 demo didn't really cut it for me. My iMac usage went into decline, and I started using my work PC laptop more. And I bought a PS2 for games. Shadow of the Colossus & ICO to be precise. Fantastic games.

April

Then BootCamp came and rescued me and my iMac from terminal neglect. Hoorah, I could now run all the apps I had, AND play Half-Life 2. And Tomb Raider Legend. And Oblivion ... all very well! Ok, maybe not so well for Oblivion... in fact it kind of tanked a bit on the X1600.

July

A few months on, and I realised that apart from the odd bit of Garageband, I was hardly ever booting into OS X. And I was playing Oblivion a lot. A very lot. And was quite unsatisfied with the iMacs performance there. So I decided to build a mega gaming PC with one of those new-fangled Core 2 Duo processors and a Radeon X1800XT.

This proved to be expensive. Plus I bought a car, my first in 5 years. And I was hardly touching my iMac. The Mighty Mouse buzzing really annoyed me. So I sold it. For about UK£250 less than I paid for it. Can you believe that? I sold the PS2 too.

And then my gaming PC, which played Oblivion a dream, proved to be quite unstable, noisy and ugly, and... you guessed it... I was pining for the shiny 20" whiteness of my iMac and felt I had made a big mistake, and realised I really to make some more music and couldn't find anything like Garageband for the PC.

August

So I went and bought another iMac. This time a 17" refurbished one from my local Apple Store, to save a few pennies. Hurrah, an Apple in my life again. Except I found the screen too small to work with, so I took it back a few days later and decided to pay the extra for a 20".

Hurrah, a Big Apple in my life again. I promised myself I would stick with this one whatever. And then a few days later it started making funny whirring sounds, the hard drive was noisier than before, the DVD slow at recognising disks, and that annoying buzzing caused by the Mighty Mouse (or any other USB optical mouse) was worse than before. And the I also realised I had maxed out my credit card. And then I read about OSx86.

So, disgruntled, skint and depressed, I returned the iMac to the Apple Store, and got a full refund (they really are very understanding there, aren't they?).

September

Vowing never to touch Apple hardware again, no matter how pretty and shiney, I set about downloading OSx86, which I got to work very well on my now-more-stable-and-quiet gaming PC, without too much hassle. But then hardly ever used it. And gradually Apple were no longer the Apple of my eye.

January

Bought a 26" HD LCD TV with a VGA port, and with a few quitening mods turned my gaming PC into a Media Center PC, recording Freeview TV and playing games from my sofa with an Xbox 360 controller. Used my work PC laptop for other more boring stuff, though felt constricted by screen size and spec.

March

Strolling around my local John Lewis store electrical department, I stumble upon a big white shiney iMac. I mean, it was really big. Like 24" big. Agape, I played around with it and realised it had a full HD screen, a Core 2 Duo chip and a 7600GT graphics card. I simply had to have it. But then realised it's price, and tried hard to be a good boy and put it out of my mind.

But the Apple bug had bitten me again. And I kept looking on the Apple Store at stuff. God I wanted a 24", almost ordered one online, but I just couldn't justify the price.

May

Work PC Laptop died. No budget available for new one. Had to make do with my crappy P4 desktop at work. But what would I use at home for my freelance stuff and general usage?

Friend at work showed me her new MacBook. Was very impressed. Wanted one. Decided to buy for myself when I realised I could get an educational discount plus 3 years warranty free as I work for a university. Ordered, arrived the next day. Awesome! What a great little computer! Loving it!

Then 3 days later Apple update their MacBook line - 10% faster processor, 50% bigger hard drive, £50 cheaper etc etc! Felt cheated so rang up Apple Online Store and complained. They said I could return the MacBook but there was a £60 collection charge, they would take a few weeks to arrrange collection and there was no guarantee they would accept it back, and I would have to order another one myself. Couldn't be bothered with that, so persuaded them to refund my card £50, which I spent on 2gb memory upgrade (half the price of Apples own!)

June

Loving MacBook... it's fast, quiet, reliable and probably one of the best keyboards I've ever used - I actually prefer it to a standard keyboard. But am finding screen size limiting for graphics & web design, and Garageband.

Then a friend at work tells me her hubbie did some work for Apple and got paid in new kit - a Mac Pro with 2 x 3ghz Xeon Dual Core, X1900XT, 2gb RAM and 23" Apple screen - and he wants to sell it... for about 3/5ths of the new price. My greedy little horned devil with a credit card rises up to tempt me yet again... but I realise that I just can't justify the expense or the ownership, no matter how good a deal it is.

However, I do consider offering to buy the 23" Cinema Display, as I could plug my MacBook into it at home... but I'm just not sure...

Last week

Cruising eBay, I come across a near-end listing for a refurb as new 20" iMac (Core Duo), with 500gb drive, 256mb graphics and 3 months Apple warranty for just over UK£500 from a reputable eBay volume reseller... without really thinking about it I put my highest bid as £525, and without further ado win it! Random, but such a bargain!

This week

It arrived on Tuesday, and it turns out to only have the standard 250gb and 128mb graphics. And no power lead! Thoroughly disappointed, but otherwise in very good condition with unused mouse, keyboard and remote, and still not a bad price for a refurb iMac.

I looked closely at the box and realised that the spec shown on the Apple barcode sticker is what was advertised, but it has a different serial number to the actual machine. Realise this a genuine mistake / laziness rather than a ripoff, but still disappointed.

I contacted them yesterday to ask for them to supply a genuine Apple power lead (though a spare PC kettle lead I have fits okay) and for them to refund 50% of the Apple Store value of the upgrades I thought I was getting, as what I had paid for the iMac was about 50% of what a new one was worth with the upgrades. If they don't do this for me I've threatended to return it for a full refund. Not heard back yet, apart from an apology and a promise to 'look into it' for me.

Today

Heard from my colleague - her husband sold the Mac Pro but still has the 23" display for sale, for about £400. Thats 2/3rds the normal store price. Plus, my boss has one of these plugged into his MacBook Pro in his office, so I tried my MacBook on it and it works a treat - so much desktop space!

(Hang on, all my boss uses it for is to be able to easily cut and paste stuff from one document to another, and there's me struggling to do all my web design and graphics stuff on a piddling 17" monitor plugged into a cruddy P4 machine... something wrong there that will have to be addressed during the next budget release for hardware upgrades)

So, I'm considering paying out for the 23" screen to plug my MacBook into at home, and returning the iMac.

Or should I keep the iMac, try wangle that partial refund, save my money and sell my MacBook.

Or should I keep both of them, and forget about the 23" display.

Or should I get a full refund on the iMac, sell the MacBook, install Osx86 on my PC again, pay off my bleeding credit card, and get some therapy.

Or shall I get rid of all computers, give up IT support and web design, and go live on a remote Scottish island doing nothing but beachcombing, listening to ambient house music and reading Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I CAN'T MAKE UP MY APPLING MIND!!!!!!

help me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I have no idea why I continued to read the post after July 2006.

I would get the refund on the imac, Id throw a fit for selling me what wasnt shown in the auction. DO NOT install OS X on a PC, I know you can but its like placing knee high socks on monkeys, it doesnt make sense. And then Id say just buy the damn monitor to use with the macbook and record all of your therapy sessions to watch on the display later.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martianrobot

Or shall I get rid of all computers, give up IT support and web design, and go live on a remote Scottish island doing nothing but beachcombing, listening to ambient house music and reading Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Yeah that one.

That whole thing was quite interesting to me. I like to see people keeping up to speed with both sides. Some people only buy PCs and detest Macs without using them and others only buy Macs and recite the same tired FUD about PCs. You need to live with both to see what fits you best.

What I would do in your case since you have a powerful gaming PC tower is stick with a Mac laptop for the likes of Garageband and maybe web design stuff but use an external display. I prefer the Macbook Pro and you'd be able to get one if you sold the iMac and Macbook but for portability and the fact it won't be used for gaming, the Macbook is probably better for you. I get the impression you like white too so the next iMacs might not impress you if they are metal.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

I have no idea why I continued to read the post after July 2006.

Consider yourself lucky. I have no idea why I wrote the whole thing in the first place. Maybe I got too much time on my hands, or had consumeritis.

Quote:

I would get the refund on the imac, Id throw a fit for selling me what wasnt shown in the auction.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But it was still quite a bargain without the higher spec.

Quote:

DO NOT install OS X on a PC, I know you can but its like placing knee high socks on monkeys, it doesnt make sense.

Mmmmm... Monkeys.... in knee high socks.... Dreamy......

But I have to say it did work, and very easily and stable too. I think I had a good combination of compatible hardware. The only thing that didn't work was the LINE/MIC IN socket, and I got round that using an iMic. I'm tempted to try install it again just to compare speeds

Quote:

And then Id say just buy the damn monitor to use with the macbook and record all of your therapy sessions to watch on the display later.

Good advice, counsellor.

• Reply 4 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

DO NOT install OS X on a PC, I know you can but its like placing knee high socks on monkeys, it doesnt make sense.

To you it doesn't. To those who don't have their needs served by Apple and live in the gray area morally, it does. The OS is so much more powerful than the limited hardware Apple chooses to ship it on.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That whole thing was quite interesting to me. I like to see people keeping up to speed with both sides. Some people only buy PCs and detest Macs without using them and others only buy Macs and recite the same tired FUD about PCs. You need to live with both to see what fits you best.

Perhaps people get the black-and-white fanboy attitude purely for peace of mind. I mean look at me, I can't decide what I want. I'm useless!

Quote:

What I would do in your case since you have a powerful gaming PC tower is stick with a Mac laptop for the likes of Garageband and maybe web design stuff but use an external display. I prefer the Macbook Pro and you'd be able to get one if you sold the iMac and Macbook but for portability and the fact it won't be used for gaming, the Macbook is probably better for you. I get the impression you like white too so the next iMacs might not impress you if they are metal.

It's sort of how I've been thinking really - PC for games and media centre, MacBook for Funstuff(TM), occassional work and portability. I just like the actual physical presence of a 20" iMac in my room

I don't think the MacBook Pro is really worth the extra expense - it's almost twice the price of the MacBook, and not particularly any faster or with a significantly larger screen. I know it has the dedicated graphics chip, but I'm quite surprise how smoothly the GMA950 in the MacBook deals with stuff - it works great even playing fullscreen HD video on the 23" Cinema Display I tried.

As for gaming on the MacBook - I have a 15gb BootCamped XP Partition which has The Longest Journey, Morrowind and Half-Life 2 installed and played

Oh, and I do like white. How did you guess?

Industrial Matt Silver/Black = PC

Lickable Glossy White = Mac

I like the distinction. And thought it bizarre people would pay £120 extra for a BlackBook, when they just aren't as nice.

It's funny to think Macs used to be beige and boring though, before the fruitgum iMacs came along that is. I never really liked them though. Too crass.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll let you know what I decide. If I don't disappear off to a remote Scottish island that is.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Your are a hardware whore like me....there is nothing you can do to satisfy the thrist. Unless you do as I did. Order a MBP and MP. There done.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Your are a hardware whore like me....there is nothing you can do to satisfy the thrist. Unless you do as I did. Order a MBP and MP. There done.

Don't. Encourage. Me.

I missed out on the brand new high-spec Mac Pro my friend had for sale at 3/5ths the price. And anyway, I would've been humming and ha-ing about how to upgrade it after 3 months.

MacBook Pro? Not worth the extra cash on the MacBook really. Especially not the 17" version.

£1800? For a soddin' laptop?

You could buy a Cray Supercomputer for that couldn't you?

Or a HAL9000.

"I don't think you want to do that, Steve..."
  • Reply 8 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

How I wish I had your budget. The majority of us can't spend between four and six grand on computer hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I have the simple solution for you in an instructional video

But on a more serious note, sell/get a refund for the iMac, keep the MB and the PC and get a CHEAP (not Cinema Display) monitor for like $250 or so and then make some sort of pledge that you won't buy any more hardware until you can afford it. (see link)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I have the simple solution for you in an instructional video

But on a more serious note, sell/get a refund for the iMac, keep the MB and the PC and get a CHEAP (not Cinema Display) monitor for like $250 or so and then make some sort of pledge that you won't buy any more hardware until you can afford it. (see link)

Excellent video, excellent advice. Alternatively, I could write a begging letter to Steve Martin. He must have a few quid spare - he probably got paid the sum of my entire debt just to make that sketch telling people less fortunate than him that they can't have the stuff and lifestyle he does so there

But why don't I go the whole hog and sell both the iMac AND the MacBook, and go back to running OSx86* on my PC for Garageband? At the moment it's attached to my 26" LCD TV, which runs at a fairly usless resolution of 1280x720 (ok, it's good for games/DVB-TV/media, useless for graphics, layout and multitracked Garagebanding).

Perhaps I could sell that too and go back to using the 21" CRT TV that is sitting unused in my bedroom. Then I could bring home the cheap 20" widescreen LCD monitor I was forced to buy for use at work a few weeks back (because the penny pinchers wouldn't release any funds to replace the piddling 17" they fobbed me off with 3 years ago) and use that with my Windows/OSx86 box.

Perhaps I could sell the whole lot, and forget about games and email and loops and HTML. Hmmmmm.... Being a manic depressive creative geek in todays consumer age is so.... confusing.

That remote Scottish island beckons... once I paid off my credit card, and wrote that begging letter to Steve Martin

Hell, he probably OWNS a remote Scottish Island.

Anyway, here goes.....

PLEDGE:

"I pledge to not spend any more money on hardware (Apple or otherwise) until I've paid off all my credit cards and closed the accounts. No matter how gorgeous and powerful and innovative the upcoming iMac is. No, honestly, I won't give them a second glance, and I shall walk right past my local Apple Store without so much as looking in the window, and I'll not visit the Apple Store website again until after such time as my credit cards have been destroyed"

Signed: Mr M Robot (soon-to-be-reformed Apple Crack Whore)

*OSx86 is a moral grey area I know, but I think Apple got some dollar out of me this past 18 months, and I did buy iLife'06 retail to use with it last year. Honest guv'nor.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martianrobot View Post

Excellent video, excellent advice. Alternatively, I could write a begging letter to Steve Martin. He must have a few quid spare - he probably got paid the sum of my entire debt just to make that sketch telling people less fortunate than him that they can't have the stuff and lifestyle he does so there

But why don't I go the whole hog and sell both the iMac AND the MacBook, and go back to running OSx86* on my PC for Garageband? At the moment it's attached to my 26" LCD TV, which runs at a fairly usless resolution of 1280x720 (ok, it's good for games/DVB-TV/media, useless for graphics, layout and multitracked Garagebanding).

Perhaps I could sell that too and go back to using the 21" CRT TV that is sitting unused in my bedroom. Then I could bring home the cheap 20" widescreen LCD monitor I was forced to buy for use at work a few weeks back (because the penny pinchers wouldn't release any funds to replace the piddling 17" they fobbed me off with 3 years ago) and use that with my Windows/OSx86 box.

Perhaps I could sell the whole lot, and forget about games and email and loops and HTML. Hmmmmm.... Being a manic depressive creative geek in todays consumer age is so.... confusing.

That remote Scottish island beckons... once I paid off my credit card, and wrote that begging letter to Steve Martin

Hell, he probably OWNS a remote Scottish Island.

Anyway, here goes.....

PLEDGE:

"I pledge to not spend any more money on hardware (Apple or otherwise) until I've paid off all my credit cards and closed the accounts. No matter how gorgeous and powerful and innovative the upcoming iMac is. No, honestly, I won't give them a second glance, and I shall walk right past my local Apple Store without so much as looking in the window, and I'll not visit the Apple Store website again until after such time as my credit cards have been destroyed"

Signed: Mr M Robot (soon-to-be-reformed Apple Crack Whore)

*OSx86 is a moral grey area I know, but I think Apple got some dollar out of me this past 18 months, and I did buy iLife'06 retail to use with it last year. Honest guv'nor.

No, people don't get paid for hosting SNL (as far as I know), and if you only need the mac for garageband and stuff you could sell the macbook too and just run OSx86. But I do think you will regret losing the shiny white apple of your eye. (Sry about the bad pun, it was actually unintended) I guess that just depends on how much you really are in debt. Good luck.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martianrobot View Post

Insane ramblings of a manic depressive with an Apple LOVE/HATE thing who can't make up his bloody mind....

help me

Dude... Li-thi-um, Lithium....
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

Dude... Li-thi-um, Lithium....

Isn't that what's in the battery that backs the clock in my computers? Perhaps I can suck one of those to cure my addictions.

Citalopram is my drug of choice. Or double espresso.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I guess that just depends on how much you really are in debt. Good luck.

UK£4000 (US$7000?) across three credit cards - luckily £3000 of this is on a 0% balance transfer rate until 2007. I only earn £1250 per month after tax though, and my monthly outgoings are about £800.

That doesn't include credit cards.

Or beer.

Or food.

LOL

Why the hell am I telling you all this stuff? Probably 'cos it's cheaper than a counsellor!