NYT's David Pogue: 'AT&T?s EDGE network is excruciatingly slow'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Am i wrong to say that apple would not be able to sell a 3g iPhone if they had made one due to the recent law suit. Im not sure but i think it locks sales of phones with those 3g chips, which is about all of them. Previously sold phones still can use 3g. So either apple would only be able to make a few, how ever many they had for launch which cold be like 3 million, or they would not be able to sell any.

Im not really sure about the lawsuit so this may be completly wrong.

(also if it is true that you can no longer buy the 3g chip, what will apple do.)
  • Reply 22 of 48
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Wow.

Great reviews from everyone so far and people can only bitch about AT&T's Edge.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

They need GPS. The chips only cost $2-5 bucks now. SiRF makes them for GSM phones.

I used to think this, but no longer. The thing with GPS is it takes a long time to get a position fix. Even with our Garmin (a dedicated GPS unit with an antenna - much better than any cell phone) it takes 30-60 seconds; on many phones (e.g. Nokia N95) it can take 3-5 minutes. So the only way to have a quick fix is to always have the GPS active, but then your phone will run out of battery very quickly.

Of course, I live in the city and I want to use it to do searches and directions when I'm on foot. For that, just showing it my location will always be way faster than waiting for a GPS fix. For suburbanites who drive everywhere, then GPS is more useful (but even an iPhone will not be nearly as good as a real GPS unit).
  • Reply 24 of 48
    able-xable-x Posts: 12member
    Well, in my opinion being AT&T only is a deal killer. We use AT&T for all our blackberries at work, and not only is their coverage horrible, but their customer service is worse. I was trying to get a blackberry fixed just yesterday and when I was on the phone they transferred me from business care, over to migrations, who proceeded to hang up on me after saying they only did residential and that I needed to speak to Business Care. It's taken 2 days just to get one account migrated WITHIN their own systems from old AT&T to new AT&T. And it's still not migrated, it only just works again.

AT&T is currently at the top of my list, having surpassed even Verizon in my utter hatred.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

I used to think this, but no longer. The thing with GPS is it takes a long time to get a position fix. Even with our Garmin (a dedicated GPS unit with an antenna - much better than any cell phone) it takes 30-60 seconds; on many phones (e.g. Nokia N95) it can take 3-5 minutes. So the only way to have a quick fix is to always have the GPS active, but then your phone will run out of battery very quickly.

The other option would be the ability to pair the iPhone with a bluetooth GPS receiver.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:

The New York Times?s home page took 55 seconds to appear

Hmm My Nextel Blackberry just took 345 seconds to load the NYT. I thought Nextel's data plan is is supposed to be faster than EDGE.

It seems like it used to be faster but has been more than unbearably slow lately. I'd love an iPhone but unless it gets a PTT button, GPS, and they have corperate plans, no iPhone for me. Not that I like the PTT and GPS, but it's a requirement for my company. I'm too spoiled to buy a second phone even if it makes my current one look like a button covered turd.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The real potential of the iPhone will be experienced when wi max is rolled out and the iPhone takes advantage of this technology. Excellent speed, wide area coverage, bye-bye Edge.

Who, exactly is rolling out WiMax for at&t? Clearwire?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

So is Mossberg an idiot too, because he also pointed out some things about the iPhone that were less than perfect? \

You gotta remember, its not an accident that these two guys are among the very first putting out real reviews for the iPhone... Apple granted them advance access based on their expertise and their history of being pretty pro-Apple.

If they're pointing these things out, just wait until more of the mainstream press gets their hands on the thing. It's going to be a bit rougher.

I thought Pogue and Mossberg's reviews were more than fair, and they probably could have ripped into at&t even more than they did.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

3G coverage is not that great right now. More importantly, most of the current 3G hardware sucks battery life like there's no tomorrow. This would be something of a non-starter on a phone w/o a removable battery. In the future it will undoubtedly be more practical.

Also, keep in mind that even HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A (3G, or even 3.5G standards) are still a lot slower to use than WiFi.

Bull. My sprint 3G works fast in all but the most podunk of towns. In the SF Bay Area, the coverage is thick and fast -- more than I can say for AT&T. I get real-world 1Mbps, which is plenty for downloading the reduced-size content quickly. A coffee shop full of laptops and hotspot-enabled smart phones will bring the WiFi down to a crawl, so 1Mbps is quite a good figure. Plus, Sprint quantizes the voice transmission an extra bit or two, which is noticeable when using the phone as a phone.

APple went AT&T for political reasons. As far as I've come to know, AT&T is the most low-tech and generally the poorest QoS network in any developed nation.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by momusicman View Post

Pogue is an idiot. This is the same man that has gotten virtually everything wrong in his prognosis of everything Apple: the iPod, the Mac Os and oh by the way, "sell Apple stock now" when it was $26 a share. I read his reviews with mirth.

I may be an idiot, but not for the reasons you cite. In fact, I believe you have me confused with someone else!

I have never "prognosticated" anything--in fact, I routinely make fun of ANYONE who attempts to predict the future of tech, because it can't be done.

And I have never, would never, and WILL never give anyone advice about stocks. I've never done it in print, never on the Web, and never in person. It's not only against NY Times policy, but it's not my job, my beat, or my expertise.

So if you think I ever told anyone to sell Apple stock, or buy it, or make a sweater out of it, you're thinking of someone else.

--David Pogue
  • Reply 31 of 48
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    It's quite possible he got you confused with Paul Thurrott, who has been consistently dismissive of Apple over the last 10 years.

The video was a hoot -- especially the message scrawled on the mirror.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    If that is really you, David, welcome to AI. I'm sure you've been hanging around for a long time. We hope you become an active, contributing member.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who, exactly is rolling out WiMax for at&t? Clearwire?

AT &T recently sold some spectrum to clearwire making them the second largest owner of that spectrum. ATT still holds a small amount of this spectrum. Maybe they have other agreements in place as a part of that deal (the deal was finished after the iPhone was announced). I hope ATT realize that they can't continue forward with EDGE. It limps on now but there is no way that is a viable solution for the future.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

If that is really you, David, welcome to AI. I'm sure you've been hanging around for a long time. We hope you become an active, contributing member.

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

It's quite possible he got you confused with Paul Thurrott, who has been consistently dismissive of Apple over the last 10 years.

+1
  • Reply 35 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poguenyt View Post

I may be an idiot, but not for the reasons you cite. In fact, I believe you have me confused with someone else!

I have never "prognosticated" anything--in fact, I routinely make fun of ANYONE who attempts to predict the future of tech, because it can't be done.

And I have never, would never, and WILL never give anyone advice about stocks. I've never done it in print, never on the Web, and never in person. It's not only against NY Times policy, but it's not my job, my beat, or my expertise.

So if you think I ever told anyone to sell Apple stock, or buy it, or make a sweater out of it, you're thinking of someone else.

--David Pogue

A big WELCOME to AI. Like Berg I hope you come back often and contribute.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That's really funny. Kind of kills that anonymity of the internet if you disparage someone well known and they can actually respond.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Can you send me your iPhone. Thanks a million. Nice review by the way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poguenyt View Post

--David Pogue

• Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Bull. My sprint 3G works fast in all but the most podunk of towns. In the SF Bay Area, the coverage is thick and fast -- more than I can say for AT&T. I get real-world 1Mbps, which is plenty for downloading the reduced-size content quickly.

My experience with Sprint is not very good. Their tether'd EVDO to my laptop thru Treo 700 cuts out often and at weird times - and in NYC and Philly there have been down times lasting days.

Coverage neither thick nor fast, and on the smaller handheld screens, browsing is so poor that any additional speed is wasted.

as for customer service: No support yet for Vista tho it's been promised for months by the "technical" staff - I have had to trod out old laptop on the road...

I have stayed with them for years, paid the $599 for treo 700p, and its true that compared to earlier nets with Treo 600 & 650, EVDO is nicer, but no way is it great.

Apple T&T has my company's 5 lines coming its way
  • Reply 39 of 48
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    whoops.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good question regarding GPS and 911.

Also, no voice dialing. Really. So how are we supposed to use the phone in cars Steve? Like it or not, most people use their phones in the car. A LOT. This is THE BIGGEST problem with the iPhone and may actually (although I'm beginning to think only 10-20% likelihood) cause it to fail, and be discontinued or severely revised. People need to be able to use it in a car. Heck, I hate it, but I do it. Everyone does. They'll have to either add voice dialing/operation that works or physical buttons. So I'm guessing a software update will enable voice dialing. Jeez I hope that pisses people off a lot and it flops for a month or two and AAPL goes down so I can buy a ton! Hey, I can hope, right? Yeah, I wish I'd invested. I'm beginning to think the iPhone will be an enormous success. I'm still in this mode of vainly hoping that the iPhone will be bad for a while so AAPL goes down and I can buy. I'm staring to think I better just buy now.