Dock "floor" easily editable ~

>_>>_>
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Not sure if I'm allowed to post or talk about this, but from what I "hear" the new dock is extremely easy to customize. The package contents contain all the png files.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Cool news

    Did your contacts have anything to say about editing the menu transparency??
  • Reply 2 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post


    Not sure if I'm allowed to post or talk about this, but from what I "hear" the new dock is extremely easy to customize. The package contents contain all the png files.



    Excellent news, this might mean you can change the size of it too by adjusting the transparency. I really want to have a black dock. I'll check this out tonight.



    I knew you could change the lights already and you can see they've changed it there from 1 dot to 3. Black seems to show the lights up more.



    One thing I really want to change is the drop shadow on windows. I compare movie clips and images side by side sometimes and having a huge shadow makes this harder to do.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    Where did you come across that screenshot? Which files are the ones needed? Magic Carpet Pngs?



    Details please!



  • Reply 4 of 13
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post


    Did your contacts have anything to say about editing the menu transparency??



    And how does it look like when you put the Dock on the right side of the screen?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post


    And how does it look like when you put the Dock on the right side of the screen?



    The dock looks terrible on the side. If you imagine sticking a trash bucket to a wall, it looks worse than that because it's kind of stuck to a table that's stuck to a wall. I never have it on the side anyway so I don't mind. I don't think the dock is designed for the side so maybe this is their way of discouraging people putting it there. If so, I think it'll be pretty effective.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Marvin,



    I'm a side docker. Being a MBP user it really maximizes the vertical screen real estate to 'dock on the side'. I would imagine that the new dock would look silly on the side from the pictures I've seen so far. That's disappointing to me. It's a shame that Leopard doesn't have a dock 'view' that looks good on the side because that's where it should be if you use an Apple laptop, IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I'm a side docker. Being a MBP user it really maximizes the vertical screen real estate to 'dock on the side'



    True and I know a few people who do this. I don't think the space saving matters if you hide the dock but if you keep it up then I could see it being beneficial on the side with the widescreen displays.



    I've managed to change the dock appearance quite easily. You can make it any design you like, even polka-dot if that takes your fancy. I also managed to shrink it by adjusting the opacity but there's one huge problem. The reflections still appear on transparent areas with the same opacity so when items come near the dock, the transparent bits jump back into view. If that hadn't been the case, you could have had no dock at all, which actually looks quite good.



    You can't change the shape of the dock though, the pattern gets mapped onto the same trapezoid.



    I quite like a black dock with white triangles but I might leave the lights.



    I also found some files showing they are working on resolution independence. I don't think they're finished yet though by quite a long way. Someone is going to have a very boring time over the next 4 months making vectorized versions of everything. This is why they'll have increased the PDF rendering performance in Leopard possibly using EGL 'cos that's the format they use. It still doesn't look fast enough to me though.



    It seems easy enough to get rid of the menu transparency too. There is an app to do it for you if you don't like editing files. You can also change the Time Machine backdrop and icons, though the icons are trickier.



    I can't find out how to get rid of the massive drop shadows though. I really hope they haven't been hardcoded. I can't find the gradient files anywhere. They are really annoying me. That's the only thing left bugging me about Leopard because the performance improvements are great. I thought CS3 was about the same but I definitely see a big difference in Photoshop startup time.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    It seems easy enough to get rid of the menu transparency too.



    The best solution I read to this was for the menu bar to become opaque when the pointer goes over it. That's a great idea IMO. I think onlooker or outsider made this suggestion.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    The dock looks terrible on the side. If you imagine sticking a trash bucket to a wall, it looks worse than that because it's kind of stuck to a table that's stuck to a wall. I never have it on the side anyway so I don't mind. I don't think the dock is designed for the side so maybe this is their way of discouraging people putting it there. If so, I think it'll be pretty effective.



    Even pre-shelf the trash can was hanging off the side for side-dockers (a new special interest group). My question is what open Stacks look like with a side dock - they open upwards with a bottom dock. Do they have filenames below instead of to the side?



    Unrelated question - what is status of Rosetta in Leopard - same? improved? dead?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    The best solution I read to this was for the menu bar to become opaque when the pointer goes over it. That's a great idea IMO. I think onlooker or outsider made this suggestion.



    When you are inside full screen apps, the color difference between the bar and the Leopard theme is distracting so for me it would have to be opaque all the time.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]


    My question is what open Stacks look like with a side dock - they open upwards with a bottom dock. Do they have filenames below instead of to the side?



    Stacks looks the same in that the filenames are below but the stack just slides out left to right for a left dock instead of upwards for a bottom dock.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected]


    Unrelated question - what is status of Rosetta in Leopard - same? improved? dead?



    The same by the looks of it. Still very slow to launch apps. Fortunately I have next to no PPC apps left. I think for most people Office is the last set. I get the impression that Microsoft are trying to make the experience as painful as possible for as long as they possibly can.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    That black Dock floor looks sexy as hell.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Does anyone know it is possible to give the old dock a Leopard-like floor, even if it doesn't have the reflections?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FourTwoNineZero View Post


    Does anyone know it is possible to give the old dock a Leopard-like floor, even if it doesn't have the reflections?



    Or what about giving the new dock a Tiger like feel. From what I've seen I don't like the shiny shelf dock also I keep my dock on the side. It just goes better there in my opinion.
Sign In or Register to comment.