Can you reinstall OS X and not loose your Windows bootcamp partition?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At work, we have a mini that has Windows XP on it and the computer runs in Windows Bootcamp full time. I booted up in the Mac OS today to do some updates since it had been updated only once since we purchased it, and I have forgotten the password. DOH!



So, I am going to reinstall MAC OS but I can't loose the Windows data. Should I be worried about this or just let it ride and say screw it since it is functioning as a XP machine anyway?



I should mention we have the login password for the Mac OS disable so we have access to the OS, but we can't update bootcamp.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    I have forgotten the password. DOH!



    When you boot from the system CD, you have the option to reset your password. No need to reinstall. Just use the menu that has disk utility in it, reset password is one of the menu items.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    So, I am going to reinstall MAC OS but I can't loose the Windows data. Should I be worried about this or just let it ride and say screw it since it is functioning as a XP machine anyway?



    Nope, they are on separate partitions so re-installing either one won't affect the other as long as you don't format, repartition or install onto the wrong partition.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    I should mention we have the login password for the Mac OS disable so we have access to the OS, but we can't update bootcamp.



    I'm not sure what you mean here. If the password is disabled (do you mean automatic login or a blank password?) how can you not login to the machine? Also, you're saying it won't let you update Bootcamp to the latest version? You can try moving the old application out of the utilities folder and the install it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    When you boot from the system CD, you have the option to reset your password. No need to reinstall. Just use the menu that has disk utility in it, reset password is one of the menu items.







    Nope, they are on separate partitions so re-installing either one won't affect the other as long as you don't format, repartition or install onto the wrong partition.







    I'm not sure what you mean here. If the password is disabled (do you mean automatic login or a blank password?) how can you not login to the machine? Also, you're saying it won't let you update Bootcamp to the latest version? You can try moving the old application out of the utilities folder and the install it.



    Thanks. What I was saying is that we have a password for the MacOS but we have auto login enabled so it is not needed to get in the Mac. Currently, it is on 10.4.9 but we have a big line of updates to do but when it comes time to install, no one can remember the password much less why we even stuck one on this machine since it is a Windows machine full time.
Sign In or Register to comment.