3g?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok I have a question, I read on these forums that 3G chips were going to be banned in the United States, is this true? If so is it worth it to wait for the 3G iPhone, even if it isn't announced? Also, how much faster would 3G be compared to the current EDGE?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post

Ok I have a question, I read on these forums that 3G chips were going to be banned in the United States, is this true? If so is it worth it to wait for the 3G iPhone, even if it isn't announced? Also, how much faster would 3G be compared to the current EDGE?

Thanks

edge feels like dial up and 3g feels like high speed net.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post

Thanks

3G isn't banned....

Here's how it goes

- Qualcomm has a chip the provides 3G support...

- Qualcomms chip starts showing up in all sorts of phones that were imported into the US

- Broadcom owns some specific G3 patents or such....

- Broadcom thinks its patent has been violated and goes to court to defend its patent

- Qualcomm looses and the court rules NO PHONE that use the Qualcomm 3G chip can be imported **IF** the phone hadn't PREVIOUSLY been imported PRIOR to the court ruling.

Translated:

Phone XXX thats been on sale in the US since May can CONTINUE to be brought into the country (and sold) even tho it uses the Qualcomm 3G chip.

Phone YYY A HOT NEW phone that was going to START shipping (for the first time) into the US in July will now be BANNED since it uses the Qualcomm 3G chip.

All 3G phones that have started coming into the country prior to June (I think its June) can continue to be sold.

Al 3G phones that are NEW as in 1st entered the country AFTER June MUST NOT have the 3G chio from Qualcomm **but** Qualcomm isn't the only company that sells a 3G chip... Broadcom does too so any phone that uses a Broadcom 3G chip (new or old) can entry the country just fine.

Dave