Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I have a MacBook Pro right now, 17", first generation (2.16 CD), with 1GB of RAM. I got it because I wanted something I play World of Warcraft on, along with everything else I love my Mac for (Photoshop, lots of Handbrake usage, web surfing, the occasional video edit with Final Cut, etc...), but the time has come to quit Warcraft.

The question is, do I sell my MBP and get a new MacBook (fully loaded, 2gb of ram, etc), or do I just keep my MBP? When Leopard comes out, I know there's a big focus on core animation and everything, how will the MacBook do with that, compared to my MBP? Right now I'm leaning towards the MacBook just because its something new, and I use Handbrake more than anything else right now, so the better processor would be something I'd definitely use, and I'd have the extra RAM and everything else, too.

I paid about $3000 for mine after tax and everything else when I got it, how good is the resell value on these? It's in very good quality, just a tiny ding on the outer case, the screen and everything else are in perfect shape, I still have the box it came in, all the accessories, and I just had the battery replaced in the past month. If I do this, I'm hoping to at least cover the cost of the new MacBook, along with some extra cash to get an iPhone / new digital camera / something like that...

Thanks in advance for any advice you give...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I'd stay with a Macbook Pro.

The only reason I would ever consider getting a Macbook is if Apple made it really slim. (Rumored to come later in the year).

However, I prefer the graphics card in the MBP just in case.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Pro all the way bud! Not because I just got mine or anything but Im going to follow along with BlueFiberOptics, gotta have the graphics! Go with the MacBook if you wont need the graphics but other than that Pro!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Well, the thing is, I'm not sure if I need the graphics or not. I'm not going to be gaming on it at all, so it's just video editing, photoshop, etc. The only thing I might need the graphics card for is when Leopard comes out, but I'm not sure how much the Core Animation or whatever needs the graphics card...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Even if your not gaming the raphics card is going to make things that much better and faster. Unless your just doing low key family trip video then the Macbook will save you money. If your like me and you enjoy video editing and photo editing to make something look pimp then the graphics is much needed. In another thread someone made a comment that the lower end Notebooks will probably stick with onboard graphics, which inparticular suck! So although your not going to game I think its worth the extra money to even get the low end MBP model to get the extra out of your graphics for editing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Core Animation works ok performance-wise on the GMA chips from what I can see but there were the odd glitches here and there in the Dock in Leopard and in the Finder coverflow. That could be just the beta but I've seen the GMA chips do this elsewhere. It may just be the drivers of course, which I know have been causing some issues.

If it was me, I'd stick with the pro because I would need the graphics. If you feel that you won't and certainly none of the apps you mentioned have issues on the GMA then the increased portability and money saving might be a good idea.

Make sure to try out a glossy screen if you don't have one to see if you like it. Also be aware that the Macbooks have had some issues with their batteries. Someone I know has had her second battery fail in the space of a month. I think the battery issue is turning into the logic board issue we had with the old ones. Thankfully batteries aren't as serious as you just send the pack away but it's still annoying.

I wouldn't have gone for a 17" though. What I would actually say is to sell it and buy the lowest end 15", which still has 2GB Ram, a big enough screen for Photoshop work, is more portable and still has a better GPU and CPU. It's $1000 cheaper than the one you bought so on resale value, you should still save around $500. You'll get at least $2000 for it and spec-wise you wouldn't be losing anything by going with the lowest MBP.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Stay with the MBP
  • Reply 7 of 8
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icaruscollapse View Post

and I use Handbrake more than anything else right now, so the better processor would be something I'd definitely use, and I'd have the extra RAM and everything else, too.

I don't know why, but on the 2.16 C2D MB, 2gb ram, Handbrake runs like a dinosaur...like ~10-15 fps. (plugged into the power adapter, etc.), and it uses a max of %130 processing power. You might be disappointed, because I dont know anything about programming, but I am not getting anywhere near benchmarks from other computers.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    getluvgetluv Posts: 7member
    I'm a full time uni student, and the Macbook treats me fine. I just do all the basic things. I have no use for a Pro at the moment. I would love one, but the Macbook is a great machine anyway. I would get 1gb of memory and buy the 2gb worth of memory yourself. You can often find cheap and realiable stores on the web and you will save quite a few dollars in the process.