UK Carrier ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Heard a rumour......

not sure how true it is, Carphone Warehouse in the UK have a deal to carry the iPhone, also O2 have completed tests on their network.

So has this any substance guys ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Who knows, nothing official has come out for the UK yet. If the Carphone Warehouse are going to be selling the iPhone, it's a different business model than that of the US setup. The Carphone Warehouse are not a network, rather a reseller to all UK networks. This could lean towards the iPhone not being tied to one specific carrier over here in Europe, or it could mean that Apple are allowing third party retailers to sell the iPhone in the same way the iPod is sold.

As for 02 testing the iPhone on their network, that doesn't really mean anything solid. I know Apple have been talking to all the big UK networks. I've heard from several sources that Orange have also been testing the iPhone. I guess we won't know until something official is announced.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The Carphone Warehouse are not a network, rather a reseller to all UK networks. This could lean towards the iPhone not being tied to one specific carrier over here in Europe, or it could mean that Apple are allowing third party retailers to sell the iPhone in the same way the iPod is sold.

It could make sense for Apple to use a reseller in Europe, as we don't have the same network of Apple Stores as they do in the States. I still don't understand why they aren't rolling out the stores here.

As for carriers, Reuters (IIRC) was reporting that Vodafone are negotiating for the exclusive European contract.

http://www.reuters.com/article/inter...25777220070627