Handbrake/ other dvd rippers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I use handbrake on my macbook and it works wonders, but the new version for windows doesnt seem to work. Im ripping all my dvds for college and putting them on a external harddrive and if i get the old family pc working to rip dvds it'll go twice as fast. I know, i know this is a repetitive question on appleinsider but does anyone know how to get handbrake to work for windows or of a decent windows ripper. The only reason i ask is because i dont ever use the pc so im unfamiliar with any and googling isnt working well



thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    What do you exactly mean when you write that Handbreak doesn't work on Windows?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    i mean it doesnt read the chapters on the disk in the dvddrive
  • Reply 3 of 17
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I hope I have better luck...I want to install Handbreak on my work machine (Dell/Windows XP) to encode overnight. I agree about the MacBook. Handbreak runs great on one.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    yes, well if anyone has any advice, thatd be great



    and good luck to you. Report back if it works
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    So far I've converted Pulp Fiction, Old School, & some Venture Bros. episodes using the mac version of handbrake. Pulp Fiction was the first one I ripped & it took forever on my powerbook (about 18 hours). For some reason it worked in iTunes but it said it wasn't a compatible format. After I converted it through iTunes it worked fine although it bumped up the size a bit though from 1.2 gigs to 1.7 gigs. It does sound great with the headphones (I noticed alot of background noise like horns, crowds, etc.) After that I found out there was an iPod preset that I used in Handbrake for the rest.



    The only two things that I changed was that I turned on the 2-pass encoding & I changed the average bitrate (kbps) to 1000. I'm not sure if this is the optimum settings for the iPhone though. Hopefully they will have an update with an iPhone preset.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    ya... ive ripped plenty of movies for my ipod. I use 700 bitrate and dont do 2 pass encoding because its a waste of time. Great quality on ipod... good quality on tv... only 700mb! everyones happy
  • Reply 7 of 17
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    Watch what version you are using. The 0.8 b doesn't work on Mac anymore. It rips for a few minutes then stops. Known issue and they are telling everyone, in a round about way, to go back to 0.7x.



    0.8.5 b works just fine for me.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post


    I use handbrake on my macbook and it works wonders, but the new version for windows doesnt seem to work. Im ripping all my dvds for college and putting them on a external harddrive and if i get the old family pc working to rip dvds it'll go twice as fast. I know, i know this is a repetitive question on appleinsider but does anyone know how to get handbrake to work for windows or of a decent windows ripper. The only reason i ask is because i dont ever use the pc so im unfamiliar with any and googling isnt working well



    thanks



    Watch what version you are using. The 0.8 b doesn't work on Mac anymore. It rips for a few minutes then stops. Known issue and they are telling everyone, in a round about way, to go back to 0.7x.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post


    0.8.5 b works just fine for me.



    Not on my 24" iMac CD2. Who knows... I wished it worked for me.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    guys, we are talking about windows here!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member


    opps



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post


    guys, we are talking about windows here!



  • Reply 12 of 17
    I just used Handbrake (for Windows XP) for the first time and it is great! I'm using iTunes to convert the mp4 file Handbrake made from my Pirates of the Caribbean DVDs into a movie I can sync onto my iPhone.



    Is there a way to apply "album artwork" to one of these converted DVDs like one can do with CD albums? So far it is showing a stillframe from the beginning of the movie as the album artwork.



  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post


    Is there a way to apply "album artwork" to one of these converted DVDs like one can do with CD albums? So far it is showing a stillframe from the beginning of the movie as the album artwork.



    It might be nice to add extra graphics to the album artwork for a movie (like you can for CDs) but I wanted to follow-up that after iTunes converted the movie it automatically put the title graphic of the movie as the album artwork. Is there a way to put alternate/additional images for a movie's album artwork?



  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post


    It might be nice to add extra graphics to the album artwork for a movie (like you can for CDs) but I wanted to follow-up that after iTunes converted the movie it automatically put the title graphic of the movie as the album artwork. Is there a way to put alternate/additional images for a movie's album artwork?











    Highlight the movie in itunes by hitting i to bring up the info panel (or File> Get Info).



    Then go to google and search for a nice juicy dvd cover of the movie (or any that you like) and C (copy) the picture.



    Go back to the itunes movie info panel and there you will find the last tab that says "artwork." Click on it and delete the current picture. Click on the now empty white field and simply hit V (paste) to enter your dvd artwork.



    This also works for any music in itunes and for any file symbol on your computer (you can change the file icons the exact same way!)



    It's awesome in coverflow with tons of movies. Just wished coverflow worked in frontrow.



    hope this helps!



    kcd



    The shortcuts (_) would be *control __* instead on a windows machine
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    Not on my 24" iMac CD2. Who knows... I wished it worked for me.



    I just got a new iMac 24" and I can't get Handbrake to work either. It works fine on my Powerbook G4 but now on the iMac it detects DVDs but says "no valid title found" after it scans all of the titles.



    Do you know how to make it work?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I think ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum could work well in Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    This is an Apple website and this is specifically the iPod+iTunes+appleTV forum.



    This could maybe go in general discussion. it doesn't really belong in applications, because he is looking for a Windows app.



    I suggest looking at WinTel forums.



    Handbrake on the Mac is a tool that I was shocked at when I switched. Been looking for something like that for years.
Sign In or Register to comment.